Where are the Win 10 People app contacts stored ?

Reaction score
I am running win 10 version 1607 with all available MS updates applied.

I am also running People version 10.1.3410.0

I have added my GMail account so that People, Calendar and Mail will syn with my GMail things.

And with regards to to Mail and Calendar, syncing works perfectly.

I have never been able to get the Win 10 People app to syn with my Google contacts.

I have tried off and on, for about a year.

But with no luck.

Question one:

When I add a new contact (manually) to the people app, where is it stored ?

IE:

Even though I have syncing configured for my GMail account, I never "see" the new contact show up anywhere in my Google contacts.

Yet if I reboot my pc, the People contacts that I added manually, continues to appear in the People app.

So, I'm "thinking" that perhaps these manually added contacts are stored somewhere on the local pc.

And if they are, I'm wondering where.

Yesterday morning, all of my manually added people contacts disappeared. I did nothing to my pc.

No updates were done nor new applications added to my pc.

I can certainly re-add them (I don't have that many).

But, I would like to find out where everything is supposed to reside before I start trying to trouble shooting this disappearance.

Question two:

The Win 10 People app implies that it will sync contacts with my GMail contacts.

Which folder, within the Google contacts structure, is the Win 10 people app looking at for this syncing ?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. It "looks" different in Windows 10 than what is shown in the link.
But I essentially, did what was suggested.
But to no avail.
In Windows 10, it's pretty difficult to mess up the syn configuration.
So I'm pretty sure that part of my issue has been addressed.
So, there must be something else going on.

Reaction score
The people app is now syncing with my contacts in GMail.

Here's what I did.

I started my Mail app.
I removed my Gmail account from the already installed Mail app.
I stopped the Mail app.

I started my People app.
Then I checked to make sure that my GMail account was gone.
It was.
So, removing my GMail account from the Mail app also removed it from the People app.
I stopped my People app.

I then used the Windows Powershell shell commands (run as an Admin) to uninstall both the Mail/Calendar app as well as the People app.

Uninstall Calendar and Mail:
Get-AppxPackage *windowscommunicationsapps* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall People:
Get-AppxPackage *people* | Remove-AppxPackage

I then went to the windows store and installed just the People app. (Not the Mail/Calendar app.)

Once installed, I added my GMail account. (I accepted all the defaults).
Then I click on the settings icon.
Right clicked on on Gmail account and clicked on "Sync".
I saw the little red "Syncing" verbiage right below my GMail account name.
I waited a couple of minutes, and it continued to say it was still syncing.
So, I went and did some chores for 15 minutes or so.
When I came back to the pc, it said it was sill "Syncing".
I thought, "well, this isn't good".
So, I clicked on the little "People" icon to the right of the "Syncing" message and wonder of wonders, all of my GMail contacts appeared.
So methinks that red "Syncing" verbiage may be a bug of some kine in the People app. (But hay, what do I knnow ?)

I then went to the Windows store and installed the Mail/Calendar app.
Configured it to my liking, and the People app continues syncing appropriatly.

IE:
If I add a new contact in the Google contacts app, it shows up in my People app.
And if I add a new contact in my People app, it shows up in my GMail contacts app.
I never thought to ask formore.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled both the People and Mail/Calendar apps a dozen times during this latest effortto get the People app to sync with my GMail contacts.
But this is the first time I chose to install and configure the People app first, before installing the Mail/Calendar app.

For anyone with an interest.
The People app syncs the contents of the Google mail app "Contacts" folder. (That was my original question.)

I have repeated things a few time just to make sure I actually "did" what I thought I did.
Every time I install the Mail/Calendar app BEFORE the People app, the People app refuses to sync my GMail contacts.
And every time that I install and configure the People app first (and then follow that with the Mail/Calendar app install), the people app shows my GMail contacts perfectly and continues to sync as described above.

Hope the above is of some little help to anyone else who might be experiencing an issue trying to get their GMail contacts to appear in the Win 10 People app.

I can't explain why it works this way.

It just does.

:)

Ask a Question