SOLVED Which app?

Reaction score
Downloading Libre Office. Used before but computer had hard drive failure. New hard drive now everything I download asks what app I want to use and I don't know!! I'm no expert (obviously) and before it just downloaded onto my computer. Help!!

Reaction score
What kind of downloads? Are you trying to respond to Run the download rather than to Save the download? Beware of the Run as you may get an infection rather than being able to scan it with antivirus after having Saved it. If the downloads are .exe/executable files you shouldn't need a program to open them, they usually are programs to be run and mostly to install.

Reaction score
The download was Libre Office. I tried Run and Save. Both times it said which app do you want to open the file. This as happened with other thins too. Before my hard drive was replaced, it just downloaded onto the computer. I'm lost...

Reaction score
Have you tried downloading LO to another computer, put on a Thumb drive and install on yours from there? I've never had a problem with getting LO from www.libreoffice.org either way.

Reaction score
I never had problems downloading before. Now nothing downloads automatically, it's all " look for apps in the store"

Reaction score
Hi Cami,

make sure you have "Allow apps from anywhere" enabled!: :)

upload_2017-10-23_7-45-2.png

Reaction score
I have just looked at a saved copy of my Libre Office download and I see, in my case, it is a.msi file. The MS installer for such, is built in to Windows 10 and should work without input. Try, in the first instance, the dialogue "Open with" and see if it offers the Windows installer.
If not, try this
Right click the start orb and , in the "run" box, type services.msc.
In the long list which appears, scroll down and look for "Windows installer" It is probably, by default, on "Manual". Double click it and reselect "Automatic".
Back out of services and restart the computer and see if the download will now open.

alternatively, Win 10 also has a built in "unzip" executive, which should also open the download.

Reaction score
Thank you both. Allow apps enabled. I looked at LO again, the file was a .man - means nothing to me. But it said use a different mirror and listed a couple. I clicked the second one and hey presto, loaded straight away, no problem at all. Still double dutch to me but it works!! So thanks everyone for your help. Needed a new mirror!

Reaction score
Don't fret over it! The "mirror" remarks are meaningless to me also.

Ask a Question