SOLVED While video playing in one window all other windows and background turns black and white

Reaction score
As the title suggests, while playing video (using any software media player, movies & tv, internet explorer youtube, google chrome youtube, vlan), all other inactive windows (any other windows) turn blank and white. I have updated video drivers, did not make a difference. I have then uninstalled all video card driver and used only default windows drivers, played video with same result. Therefore, I am sure it is windows. Tonight while trying to watch the bowl games, I typically watch video and browse/study using IE/Chrome. This is pretty typical for me, but the browser windows turning black and white is getting really annoying.

Any ideas how to turn this stupid feature off?

Thank you in advance and happy new year.

Reaction score
Hello, welcome to the forum. Let me bump this to the top of the list. Bump.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Any ideas how to turn this stupid feature off?
Nope, and....
I don't believe that it is actually a "feature".
It may be a product of your system specs CPU w/APU integration, available memory, memory dedicated to your GPU and window's attempt at providing optimal usability and functionality to the active window.
Do the black and white windows remain that way when you switch "focus" making them active again?

Some details regarding you exact system specifications might enable someone with a similar system, to provide a better answer to your problem.

Back in the day (windows XP days) when I was working on systems with less than optimal hardware I would always go into the advance system settings and change the default to Adjust for best performance. Haven't had to do anything like that for a very long time.

Capture2.PNG

Reaction score
Clicking on other windows (ex. browser) makes them active for a few seconds and then they go right back to black and white. Pausing the video or performing a seek on video does the same.

My system is a i5 NUC with 16gb memory and integrated intel HD 5000 APU. Same machine with windows 8.1 or 7 have no such issue.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Seems like this may be a problem with intel NUC itself. I restored windows 8.1, played a youtube video and same thing happened. I am going to leave the thread open for a week or so to see if anyone has any ideas on how to fix it. Afterwards, I will close it.

Reaction score
I was playing audio music then, i just see a that my computer stop playing and the system stop then restart while messaged that my PC have a problem. please help.

Reaction score
I too need a solution, currently have to game in black and white

Running Windows 10 Pro x64 bit

Reaction score
SOLVED!!
1. go to windows settings
2. on the search box type "greyscale" and select "turn color filters on or off"
3. change color filter to OFF.

Reaction score
I've had the same "problem" for a while now and just discovered its a setting in my acer monitor and even though I have a dual monitor setup (with my secondary being a Dell) it was happening on both screens.

I'm surprised that this isn't a more common issue since the setting is named "Video Detection", a setting that I personally wouldn't think I needed to turn off.

anywho, I hope this helps with your problem.

Ask a Question