SOLVED White boxes

Reaction score
On some screens I see white boxes that should be showing me icons or info, there should be something to be seen? I tried changing colors from Internet Option/Colors unclicking the 'Use Windows Colors' and selecting my own colors. Both ways still show these white boxes. If I click one it will then execute an action. Just cannot see what is there? Sometimes if I hover over the box it will reveal what is there? The problem is not on all screens.

Reaction score
From Pack Guy: Forgot to mention I am using Internet Explorer V11. Hope this subject qualifies for the overall subject matter.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Any chance you could post a screenshot please (the snipping tool should let you do this easily). That may give us a little more of an idea as to what is happening.

Does this only happen in your IE11 browser?

Reaction score
I thought I had posted an example of these white boxes? I will attempt again. Meanwhile, maybe these could also be called 'empty dialog boxes' too. I was thinking maybe the font was not a showable font? I entertained the thought of setting fonts back to windows default. but not sure what that might do, so did not. I don't think the browser is the culprit since the empty boxes are showing on a web site home page or subsequent page. An example would be when I type in this reply, at the top is a row of selection for Bold, Italics, Underline, etc are all blank, just white boxes for me. If I Hover then each box shows what it should contain. I see these type situations this on other web sites. But,, sometimes Hovering will not show what is there? Here is my attempt to show what I am seeing.....

upload_2017-4-13_10-24-29.png

This is on the Google search page. Next to Images is a white box that when I Hover says 'Google Apps'.

upload_2017-4-13_10-26-56.png

Hope these show ok!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Is that yellow background colour one that you manually selected in Internet Options > General > Appearance > Colours?

I'm not sure why images wouldn't display correctly for you. What you could try is going to Internet Options > Advanced > Restore Advanced Settings, as it may be something usual as been checked on that list that prevents them from loading correctly.

Does IE11 work correctly if you run it in safe mode? Press Windows Key + R to display the "run" box, then run the following command to fire up IE11 Safe Mode:

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff

Reaction score
I tried the Advanced Settings, I see no change. I run with IE11. I also tried FireFox with no change I could see.
I also tried setting my own colors. And also Win10 colors. No change. Using my own colors lets me see some things better. Below is an example of the Search box with Google Using WIndow10 colors and my own. You will see all white which may be providing a clue? I will try the SaveMode next. Will post those results. I could live with hovering over the white box to see what is there but that does not always work. Thanks for your assistance!

Using Window color setting.
upload_2017-4-14_10-17-35.png

Using My colors.
upload_2017-4-14_10-18-49.png

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
When you say Safe Mode, do you mean you loaded IE11 Safe Mode using the command I posted above, or rebooted in to Windows 10 Safe mode and loaded IE11 (you want to do the former).

Reaction score
I copied the entire string in once without the quotes and again with them, neither worked. so then used the reboot Win10 Safe Mode method. So,,, I just tried your command again and got below. I must of fat-fingered something.
upload_2017-4-14_14-49-4.png

There is a note on the Bottom saying Add-Ons are dis-abled. Perhaps the was the intent of the command -extoff ? So I went into a couple things hoping to see if anything changed. Not that I could see. Again, thanks for your help and patience!

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-14_14-48-47.png
    upload_2017-4-14_14-48-47.png
    30.6 KB · Views: 485

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yes, that's right - it'll run IE11 without any addons, so it can take them out of the equation when trying to solve the problem.

What happens if you use the "Edge" browser instead? Does that work ok?

Reaction score
Bingo! Using Edge I now see indicators in the boxes above my keying here. Not just white empty boxes. The B, I, U, A, etc are all there! And when Google comes up I have a screen I can actually see the Search box when I just have WIndow default Colors. So, evidently Win10 does not like something in IE or Firefox which messes the display. Thanks so very much for your help!!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
IE11 is the last version Microsoft are making (as they're pushing people over to Edge), so it's not a bad time to make the switch. Although it doesn't fix the issue, at least is solves it :).

Ask a Question