Why a notification message?

Reaction score
I am curious about this. I don't understand why it is necessary to tell me I just plugged in a headset. Do they think I didn't know I plugged the headset in? It seems to be a waste of time, energy and bytes.
Does anyone have some logical explanation? I am certainly open to suggestions.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Do they think
Not exactly sure who "they" might be referring to, but....
That is usually a product of the driver package for your sound card, which can usually be turned off if you like.

AutoNote.PNG

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply -
Could be, Mr. Trouble, but I have searched that area thoroughly and cannot find any place available to turn the message off. That is why I posted the question.
I have two "playback devices" available: Digital Audio (HDMI) and Speakers/Headphones. I have searched both devices with no luck. I am currently using the Speaker/Headphones - Realtek High Definition Audio.
I might add that in the Dell Audio section, there is a check box marked, "Enable auto popup dialog when device has been plugged in"
It doesn't matter if I insert the check mark or delete the check mark, the messages still pop up.
I can live with it but my curiosity insisted I try to find an answer. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just taking a guess here but I'd say it is a Windows function that is set to notify you anytime some kind of change is going on in your PC. It could be a program or hardware and it may not be able to tell the difference between say a video card or headsets. Probably just a safety feature built in to let you know that something just happened with your computer.

Reaction score
Okay, I will just live with it and during my slack time try to find that elusive little box so I might remove the check mark. :)

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
You need to open your sound driver software as Trouble showed in post #2. Me and Trouble have the same mobo and sound driver/software package which is Realtek. You can find that in the notification area, it's called "Realtek HD Audio Manager"....you open that and go to settings....the little wrench at bottom right of the Realtek HD Audio Manager software.

Ask a Question