Why buy a retail version?

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right category to post this in but here we go.

Microsofts Terry Myerson:
This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no additional charge..

OK, but what does that mean if you buy a retail version of Windows 10?

As far as I know the one thing you pay for when buying a retail version is that you are allowed to move it to another computer. If so, the promise "the lifetime of the device" should mean that you can move it to another device for the next x years counting from launch date.

If not, why would anyone buy a retail version?

What are your ideas about this?
think.gif~original

Reaction score
I will buy a version I like too have a hard copy but will wait a while for the updates too be added

Reaction score
As long as you're using the free upgrade on the computer it was originally installed on there is really no need to buy a retail version. If you're going to build a new system and start from scratch then of course you will need to buy a retail copy. All of us will probably at some point in time have to buy a retail copy either installed on a new machine from a vendor or from a retail store to install in new hardware. I usually build a new computer every year or so. so I'll be buying a retail copy probably sooner than a lot of people who will be using the same machine for a few years.

Reaction score
As long as you're using the free upgrade on the computer it was originally installed on there is really no need to buy a retail version. If you're going to build a new system and start from scratch then of course you will need to buy a retail copy. All of us will probably at some point in time have to buy a retail copy either installed on a new machine from a vendor or from a retail store to install in new hardware. I usually build a new computer every year or so. so I'll be buying a retail copy probably sooner than a lot of people who will be using the same machine for a few years.

Yes, but are you allowed to move that retail copy to another machine?

Reaction score
As dips says sooner or later most will have to purchase W10 I will give at least 6mths b4 I buy a retail version

Reaction score
As dips says sooner or later most will have to purchase W10 I will give at least 6mths b4 I buy a retail version

I'm sorry, but I don't know why you insist answering questions that I haven't asked.

Please, can someone else answer or give some insight to the question:

Are you allowed to move a retail copy of Windows 10 to another machine?

Reaction score
As far as I know the one thing you pay for when buying a retail version is that you are allowed to move it to another computer. If so, the promise "the lifetime of the device" should mean that you can move it to another device for the next x years counting from launch date.
Most of the people upgrading are already bound to one device. Why would Microsoft willingly lift the restriction?

Besides if you want to move to another device, you should do so before upgrading.

Reaction score
Most of the people upgrading are already bound to one device. Why would Microsoft willingly lift the restriction?

Because Microsoft has willingly lifted that restriction with both Vista and Windows 7. (I don't know about windows 8 since I wasn't interested to find out.)

Besides if you want to move to another device, you should do so before upgrading.

That has nothing to do with my question.

As far as I know there are three price levels for Windows 10.

(In this example I'm using prices from a Swedish seller. The nominal prices are not important but the fact that there are three products with three different price levels.)

1. Upgrade from Windows 7 or Windows 8. - Free the first year. Tied to the machine you're upgrading from/to.

2. OEM. Price $170. Not tied to a machine when purchased but not allowed be moved once it's been installed and registered on a machine. (Same licence as Vista and Windows 7.)

3. Retail. Price $260. Now, with both Vista and Windows 7 buying this version allowed you to move it from one machine to another. My question is: Does the same apply to Windows 10? If not why would anyone buy the Retail version instead of the OEM?

Reaction score
Yes, but that's not really an answer to my question: How does a retail licence differ from an update or OEM?

According to the Windows Insider the RTM (Release To Market) version is the same as the retail versions. However as long as one has a bona fide copy of any version of Windows 7, Windows 8 or 8.1 you'll get the update free. This version is exactly the same except you have to keep it on the PC you updated with Windows 10. No key is issued via Microsoft however a "key" does appear if one uses the utility app AIDA64, then you can look it up.

Once you do an "Upgrade" install then you can also download it as an ISO file and store it for a "clean install" later on.
That's what I did. I'm still on the "Upgrade" install but I deleted the "Windows.Old" folder which had all of the old Windows 8.1 files on it, about 18 GB for me. You don't have to wait for your computer to state it's ready to install as long as you have the Window Logo in your task bar. You can go directly to the Microsoft Software Download site and do a media-based upgrade using the "Media Creation Tool". You're given the option of either the 32-bit or 64-bit download. Remember though if your using a "Home" version you cannot upgrade to a Pro version and so on.

MS allows you to install as many times as you wish on the same machine you upgraded however if you change the primary HDD or SSD or motherboard then you must call MS and get a tech rep to help you through it. You're not allowed to go to a different computer; ie, such as going from a DELL desktop to a Lenovo notebook or vice versa.

The following is from an email I received recently:

Hello Windows Insider,

kjSq8u0YV3RC4f8m2bPaFDOiOT3pSv8_48AQj9cSbj00CEoaifkK0xuMdajdJ4qmP0WCKpZpyvYTFq5OxKDANcH3c8k76G-qNqH9_CH9vcT_v5XC9XbPHRYfYREzUkssOn5ZApg=s0-d-e1-ft
We have begun rolling out the public release of Windows 10 to the world, starting with our valued Windows Insiders. This is a hugely significant milestone for Windows and, thanks to feedback from Insiders like you, we're proud to say that this will be our best Windows release ever! Check out Terry's blog for details on this public release.

kjSq8u0YV3RC4f8m2bPaFDOiOT3pSv8_48AQj9cSbj00CEoaifkK0xuMdajdJ4qmP0WCKpZpyvYTFq5OxKDANcH3c8k76G-qNqH9_CH9vcT_v5XC9XbPHRYfYREzUkssOn5ZApg=s0-d-e1-ft
Starting on July 29, Microsoft stores in the U.S., Puerto Rico and Canada will host a series of Windows 10 activities and events – and we invite you to join us. We’re giving away free T-shirts to the first 50 Insiders. All Insiders who drop by will qualify for our Windows Insider Exclusive Microsoft store offer, valid July 29-August 2. For details, including the store nearest you, go to the Windows Insider Hub. (See below if you need to install Insider Hub.)

We invite you to get the final release of Windows 10 on other PCs you may own. Also, let your friends and family know how they too can experience the exciting benefits of Windows 10. Here’s how:

• For PCs running Genuine Windows 7/8 – these machines qualify for a free upgrade to Windows 10 through Windows Update. (You can also do a media-based upgrade though the Microsoft Software Download site.)
  • For PCs not running Genuine Windows 7/8/10 – you can purchase Windows 10 at your local retailer or at online retailers like Microsoft Store.com.

The Windows Insider Program will continue after 7/29, and we'll have more information for you soon about how the program will work going forward. I hope you’ll continue to join us on this exciting journey.

Perhaps this answers your questions.

Nibs

Reaction score
Maybe you should look up who technically qualifies for buying the OEM version. Only builders qualify and even then I'm not sure every builder qualifies, even though I do personally buy OEM for my builds. OEM versions are not meant to be used on Pre-built systems that had an OS previously installed.

The Retail version is for anyone that does not qualify for a free upgrade and wants to move forward to replace their old OS. The OEM version is for anyone building a new machine.

The reason I say maybe you should look it up is, I'm not sure there is a cut dry explanation available. Which is why I'm not clear on the topic either.

Reaction score
Yes, I'm aware of the "OS previously installed" limitation of the OEM licence but I have had no problems with that having built several systems myself.

I think your statement "I'm not sure there is a cut dry explanation available." probably is correct. If a Windows 10 Retail licence is the same as it was for Vista and Windows 7 then you would be allowed to move it to another machine. But Microsoft hasn't exactly been clear about neither licences nor the question about Windows as a Service which has a roll in this.

Beginning to think Microsoft doesn't knows the answers themselves.

Reaction score
But this doesn't make sense... My Windows 7 Pro is NOT OEM, so I can move it to another machine if I like. Why wouldn't my Windows 10 Pro upgrade be the same way? It's not an upgrade if you are going from Win 7 Pro non-OEM to Win 10 Pro OEM.

Reaction score
MS allows you to install as many times as you wish on the same machine you upgraded however if you change the primary HDD or SSD or motherboard then you must call MS and get a tech rep to help you through it. You're not allowed to go to a different computer; ie, such as going from a DELL desktop to a Lenovo notebook or vice versa.
This does not make sense...

How is it an upgrade if my Windows 7 Pro non-OEM can be moved around, yet the Windows 10 Pro that I downloaded can't be moved? That's trading a Windows 7 Pro non-OEM for a Windows 10 Pro OEM.

Reaction score
It's free right? That is the trade off, of getting an upgrade for free. The first year for free is also a limitation, beyond that and you will pay for a new license as well. Accept the free upgrade on your one device and move on from there, or go back to your previous OS.

Reaction score
Where do you get this idea of "being able to move" and "not being able to move".

Is that a strange American thing? It is not like that in the UK, or in the EU.

Reaction score
Where do you get this idea of "being able to move" and "not being able to move".

Is that a strange American thing? It is not like that in the UK, or in the EU.
The retail copy of Windows 7 Pro that I have can be moved to a new PC. I just need to remove it from the old PC first. The activation key will work on any hardware. I can keep installing the same copy of Windows 7 Pro whenever I buy a new PC or upgrade my hardware.

An OEM copy of Windows 7 Pro can only be installed on one set of hardware. Once installed, you can't delete it and install it on a different PC. That's why an OEM copy of Windows is cheaper than the retail version. Technically OEM should only be available to a system builder, but the rules are pretty loose as to who qualifies.

If you've upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, once the free upgrade period has expired, you end up locked into only one PC, even if you upgraded from the retail version of Windows 7 Pro. If you buy a new PC, you have to buy a new copy of Windows 10 - even though you own the Windows 10 upgrade. You could always install the old Windows 7 Pro that you upgraded from, but then what was the point of upgrading to Windows 10?

Ask a Question