Why does Windows 10 keep adding a number to my email addy?

ABW

Reaction score
I have an email address, let's say it's (e-mail address removed). Well in Windows 10, almost any time I try to type it, whether on my yahoo email or on any webpage, it comes out (e-mail address removed). At first I thought maybe I was accidentally hitting the 8 and adding it in myself, but now I'm very careful when I type it and it's like Windows auto-corrects it to that. I may have once typed that into a form- I sometimes do just add a number onto my real email when I'm filling something out and want to make a dummy email, but it's like now Windows has decided that is my true email. It's causing serious problems because now if I ever miss that auto-correct it's done, I may send someone a bad email address. Is there some way to fix this? I read about turning off auto-correct and I don't want to do that, I just want it to recognize that (e-mail address removed) is valid.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Credential Manager Web Credential section
Pay attention to the right side and see if you can spot the erroneous email address.
If Windows has it saved it'll likely be in there somewhere
OR
Somewhat less likely the Windows Credentials area

ABW

Reaction score
OK I checked those and don't see the incorrect email addy in either location. I see websites where I've told it to save my password listed and they all have the correct email showing. I checked under the windows credentials as well and don't see the offending email there either?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Then it may simply be a browser cache / history issue.
Most top tier browsers support a method of clearing the cache / history, completely or selectively.
A bit of Googling for your specific browser should reveal the method.

Last edited:

ABW

Reaction score
OK I tried that- cleared all of the stuff in Microsoft edge. It's still doing it it seems. I go into yahoo and go to compose an email and then type in the email addy and it adds in that extra "8". Although when I went to log into this webpage to reply, it didn't add it on when I typed my email address. So it seems to do it some of the times but not always. But I cleared the form data, cached data and files and cookies and saved website data in Microsoft edge.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If we're talking about Edge as the culprit you might also want to have a look under advanced settings "Offer to save passwords" -> Manage my saved passwords
And see what you can see.

ABW

Reaction score
Darn it, no sign of the bad email addy there. So now I've cleared basically everything, restarted the computer and it's still happening... I've tried googling about yahoo email to see if the problem is specific to that but can't find anything either. And the bad email address doesn't show up in the address bar if I start to type in my email addy- it gets it right there, but it's in the text/body of an email where I'm mainly noticing it now. so if I'm sending an email and trying to sign at the bottom with my email addy so someone will have it, and I just type my email out, it adds in that darn 8.

ABW

Reaction score
I think I've figured out that it's in the custom dictionary- I went to type something into a facebook post this morning and it made this correction and above "tomjones" which it underlined in red squiggles, it showed "tomjones8" as the correction. But now I can't figure out how to correct that entry in the dictionary? I googled and found ways to correct stuff in office programs and such, but not in a browser? Any ideas on how to do this?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Heck if I know. I can barely spell dictionary.
Have a look here and see what you see.
C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Spelling\en-US
There should be a default.dic which is the normal one, a default.acl AutoCorrectList and a default.exc (exclude / ignore).
Good luck.

ABW

Reaction score
Great!! That did it! I had to google about how to find the appdata file since mine was hidden, but from there I did get to the dictionary and found that evil tomjones8 listed, so deleted it and saved the file and it isn't happening now! Thanks so much!!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Great, glad you figured it out. Not sure I ever would have unless of course it was happening to me, then I would have left no stone unturned
Thanks for letting us know.

Ask a Question