Wi-Fi Adapter Keeps Failing(?) - Custom Build W10

Reaction score
Hello Everybody!

I am desperately trying to fix my PC's Wi-Fi issues, and I am hoping you can help me.

Symptoms:
  1. When computer boots up, "Wi-Fi 3" adapter is offline. I have to manually turn it on.
  2. After an unspecified amount of time, my wifi says "No internet, secured," and I am connected to it. At this time all other wifi networks in my neighborhood or invisible. I can only see the wifi that I am connected to (but w/o internet access).
  3. Eventually, the adapter seems to "crash." What I mean by crashing is that it turns off, and I can't turn it back on (I use an elevated shortcut via cmd to turn it on and off).
  4. Rebooting takes me back to step 1, then step 2.
Possibly related / unrelated symptoms:
  1. I was having trouble installing a W10 update. I had to go through a series of steps to reset the update or delete some WindowsUpdate.old file (something along those lines). When I went to restart my computer (to update), it eventually told me it encountered a problem, and to google "power_driver_state_failure." I restarted the computer a few times and it turned back on.
Attempted Solutions
  1. Windows Network Diagnostics.
    1. Usually says to plug the ethernet cable in, as if it doesn't realize I have a network card. Then I hit "try something else," and sometimes it fixes the Wi-Fi 3 adapter problems, sometimes it doesn't.
  2. Resetting Wi-Fi 3 adapter via elevated cmd.
  3. Reinstalling driver from manufacturer.

PC Build

Windows 10 Installed Clean, w/ no OS ever installed before.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($174.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI H97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($86.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($40.98 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($86.75 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($86.75 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($149.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 290X 4GB Tr-X OC Video Card
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($63.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $800.11
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-09 14:52 EST-0500

Any help is appreciated!
Thanks,
Adam

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am having the same sort of issue with my laptop but it is a bit older than your computer and i find that the easiest way to solve the issue is to use an ethernet cable where possible and where it is not practical it means going into Command Prompt Admin with two lines of code. (see below) I also loose connection on my desktop at odd times during the day and again the code gets it going without having to reboot. (i put the fault down to my motherboard being a bit old but it is not worth buying a new system at present when this solves it)
Right click on the windows start button then select:-
Command Prompt Admin

Type ipconfig /release and press Enter.

Type ipconfig /renew and press Enter.

Hope that this helps you in the short term.

Reaction score
You have been to the properties of your WiFi adapter and made sure that the box that says 'turn off adapter to save power' is OFF. The symptoms you describe are a good match. That has been a longstanding problem in W10 with many different WiFi adapters.

Reaction score
Thanks, for that bit it will be helpful to someone but i have already made sure that mine is turned off. Its a shame that there are problems with W10 when it is such a good system. I have decided to upgrade my motherboard in the coming weeks so it will interesting to see what issues i have to the above hopefully it may resolve them.

Ask a Question