SOLVED Wifi Keeps Turning Off

Reaction score
Guys, all of a sudden for the past week, my wifi keeps turning off everytime I connect to a wireless network. I've tried numerous things to fix such as disabling the power off option for the adapter and doing a system restore to last month when I remember it working. I even went as far as replacing the adapter but the problem still persists. I use Avast Internet security and disabling it didn't help either. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated because I'm at a loss.

Regedit32

Reaction score
What Computer brand are you using?
  • HP
  • Dell
  • Lenovo
  • Custom Built System
  • Something else?

What model router are you using?

Can you confirm the Driver currently being used via Device manager?

such as disabling the power off option

I assume here you mean you went to Network adapters in Device Manager and right-clicked the Adapter choosing Properties then selected Power Management tab and unchecked the box next to Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
  • Is my assumption correct? If not do that!

Reaction score
Laptop is an ASUS u47a running Windows 10 64bit.

I have an Asus RT-AC68U router at home.
The problem isn't just on my network alone though; at work the same problem occurs.

The new wireless card that I just installed yesterday is an Intel Dual Band AC 7260 (v18.40). The driver is the latest. And yes, I unchecked "allow this computer to turn off this device to save power".

Regedit32

Reaction score
Have you checked whether there is a firmware update for your router?

Also can you log into router and check what channels are set up for that dual band card. You could try setting a higher channel if possible. Also, as its dual band make sure its not using a default auto for settings. You are better off managing this yourself.

Reaction score
I have the latest firmware on the router. I really don't think that's the problem. I tried a few different networks and the same issue occurs.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IF your router is using TKIP then try switching to AES or vice versa. Ideally AES + TKIP if that option is available.

Reaction score
Guys, it has nothing to do with my router. I tried on 4 different networks now and the problem persists.

Reaction score
I figured it out. My computer came with a seperate wifi tool where I must of disabled it in there accidently. So even though I was enabling it using the windows utility, it would disable by default because of the other tool. Took me forever to realize, but glad I finally did!

Regedit32

Reaction score
I figured it out. My computer came with a seperate wifi tool where I must of disabled it in there accidently.

Ahh :)

Thanks for letting us know.

Glad you got your WiFi up and running again.

Reaction score
I figured it out. My computer came with a seperate wifi tool where I must of disabled it in there accidently. So even though I was enabling it using the windows utility, it would disable by default because of the other tool. Took me forever to realize, but glad I finally did!

Hi, I just saw your post and I'm having the same problem on the same type of ASUS computer. Can you tell me what ASUS tool you are referring to and specifically, where do I find it and do what you did to resolve the problem. THANKS!

Reaction score
Hi, I just saw your post and I'm having the same problem on the same type of ASUS computer. Can you tell me what ASUS tool you are referring to and specifically, where do I find it and do what you did to resolve the problem. THANKS!
I'm pretty sure it's called 'ASUS Wireless Console'. It should be located somewhere in the taskbar (see picture of icon). I saw that mine was disabled which was causing the WiFi to stay off even when turning it on with the Windows utility. Good luck!

Attachments

• awc.png
    awc.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 2,045
Reaction score
Thanks. I found it. You can turn this on by holding down the FN key and the F2 key. Seems to fix the problem, but I'll have to wait and see. THANKS!!

Reaction score
Simple Solution: I had the same issue, I tired many solution, non worked except the below .. My issue has been resolve.. try this out and save your time .. There is no other solution right now , which give the permanent result ..

Unchecking “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" in the Power Management of the Wi-Fi device, will work only for few mints /hours ... But you will face the same thing again ... so this is not the permanent solution ... Just simply roll back the device driver back to the previous one (note: once Wi-Fi disabled automatically then go the driver and click "Roll Back Driver", if the Wi-Fi working fine then this option will be grayed out, so once the Wi-Fi disabled then this option will turn on and then you can click it, it will take few second and then bring you Wi-Fi online automatically .. that’s it ..There is no other solution .. Enjoy and pray for me for the new job.. Thanks to all

Ask a Question