Wifi not automatically connecting

Reaction score
For the last few weeks, when I switch on my Laptop the connection to my BT Hub 5 is not connecting automatically. If I list the available routers, find mine in the list and click on Connect, it connects straight the way. The ‘Connect Automatically’ box IS ticked.
Disabling the Wi-fi and enabling it again also connects to my router immediately.

I have tried several of the suggestions on the net but nothing solved it yet.

Any ideas would be most welcome.

Reaction score
Have you used the Hub WPS button, it's on the side or back of the hub it will automatically connect any computer or smart phone to it's wifi signal.

Reaction score
Have you used the Hub WPS button, it's on the side or back of the hub it will automatically connect any computer or smart phone to it's wifi signal.

There isnt any a problem connecting to the router from the laptop, I don’t even have to enter the wireless key. It’s just that it doesn’t connect without me doing something !

Reaction score
Hi Dmp192,

do you have other WiFi connections on your laptop and are they also set to connect automatically?, if you have one that is very near, it will try and connect to that even if it isn't in range, set all other connections you have to not connect automatically and you should be good to go!. ;)

Reaction score
Hi Dmp192,

do you have other WiFi connections on your laptop and are they also set to connect automatically?, if you have one that is very near, it will try and connect to that even if it isn't in range, set all other connections you have to not connect automatically and you should be good to go!. ;)

Yes there are other WiFi connections listed AND they have the Connect Automatically ticked, BUT even though I untick them, the tick reappears.

Reaction score
Not sure how this helps my situation. This is about how to STOP laptop connecting to a certain hub. My problem is that it is NOT AUTOMATICALLY connecting to mine. Also strange that looking at the 'Manage Known networks' (in the provided link), some of the networks I see in my connections available, do NOT appear in the Manage Known Networks list anyway.
As I said, clicking on Connect always connects straight the way.
This has only recently started happening, and I wouldn't mind guessing after a Windows 10 update was applied.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
It might not be on your end but rather the BT HUB 5 end. Try rebooting your modem/router by unplugging it for 5 minutes then plug it back in.

Reaction score
It might not be on your end but rather the BT HUB 5 end. Try rebooting your modem/router by unplugging it for 5 minutes then plug it back in.
Unfortunately that doesn't make any difference, I still need to click on 'Connect' to make it connect.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I still need to click on 'Connect' to make it connect.
Yes....I understand that. Modem and router (combo's), like all hardware, have firmware....like the OS only tiny, that can get corrupted/have a problem and to fix that is to reboot or reset the hardware like you do the OS.

To do that on a modem/router is to unplug the modem router for 5-7 minutes and then plug it back in. Or manually reset it by inserting a paper clip into the tiny hole on the back of the unit and press and hold until the unit turn off and then back on.

Once that is done....then you make your wifi connection by the usual procedure. This generally fixes this type of issue you're having.

Otherwise you'll need to contact your ISP and have them diagnose your modem/router.

Reaction score
Still have the same problem but the over the weekend the laptop twice connected to my router automatically at start up. However after that, come Monday, it doesn't again.

Any further 'sensible' suggestions would be welcome

Ask a Question