Wifi Not Showing Name

Reaction score
i use my wifi network at home, on my pc and laptop. recently I was away and as the hotel I was staying in only had limited free access decided to take my own wifi with me,... but when I turn it on to use with my laptop, did not show my name at all..... showed others, as well as the hotel.... I have been to the same place in the past, but used a different wifi device and works fine, but not this one. when I returned home, logged in on the same laptop and works fine... any help would be appreciated as I have spent what seems like hours with Telstra etc trying to sort the problem out. cheers

Reaction score
Not clear. You took a laptop with you to a hotel. And an access point? or do you mean a cellular WiFi dongle?

At home, do you have a conventional router/modem/wifi access point that you connect to ?

Reaction score
HI Tim, sorry about that, I have attached a link to the device I use, at home with my pc. When I travel I take my laptop and as long as in Australia I take the device too (paying monthly for it so may as well use it) while in this hotel I opened up the network on the laptop and my device was not showing, there where other networks there, including the hotels, but not mine. Since then I have returned home, and tested the device again with the laptop, and works perfectly. no problems. I spent what seems like hours with Telstra etc trying to sort the problem out while at the hotel but to no avail. any ideas on what may cause this, or settings etc on the laptop to check would be helpful as we go to this place every couple of months,. cheers

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2015/09/t...nds-on-with-the-first-600mbps-mobile-hotspot/

Attachments

• 096A1754-2.jpg
    096A1754-2.jpg
    849.5 KB · Views: 554
Reaction score
OK. So this device connects to Telstra's LTE network as a data device ( sort of) and at the other side is a WiFi access point/hotspot.

So does the device have a way of showing you that it has connected to telstra and has connected to their network and has been given an IP address? Seems that is does. Was it showing that stuff. Because it sounds as if it wasn't getting that and therefore was not activating the hotspot. Which is why you were seeing everything else in range of you laptop but not your hotspot. The description says that the device is battery powered...can it also be plugged into the wall? I bet it can and that is how you use it at home. Did you plug it in? Did you try it outside the hotel, but close...like in the car park( assuming the batteries in both the gadget and the laptop were ok?

Now why it was not getting connected I have no way of answering you.

Last edited:
Reaction score
it is battery or plugs into the usb port. yes I did plug it in, tried all different variations of starting the device first then the laptop etc...unfortunately I did not try it outside the hotel (stupid of my not to), but when I turned on my wifi to my Mobile phone it paired with that fine. so figured the problem was with the laptop. but at home now working fine. I guess I will have to wait for the next trip to this hotel and try it all again... so I may be contacting you again in the future to continue this issue, if that's ok,,,,cheers,,,

Last edited:
Reaction score
You say it paired with your phone, So your phone properly had an IP address, gateway, mask and DNS and could talk via the gadget to the 'net. I ask as most phones can do that with just talking to the LTE network in North America anyways if one has a data plan the LTE network provides all the required numbers directly ( which it probably does to your gadget as well in exactly the same way)

Reaction score
Tim,,, thank you again, not sure about the phone,,, all I do know is its a Sony Xperia 3 compact.... but just to recap,, I use a pc, mobile, and 4gx device, at home (all works fine) when I am away use the same 4gx device and laptop. Mobile works fine and I can access the net using 4gx device, I can access the net on my laptop using the Hotels network, but not with the 4gx device. I have checked all the setting on the laptop (I think) so at a loss now,,,, just found one of the things Telstra said to try,, link below,,,, but after downloading it would say need to run .exe file first, click on that and just goes back to the beginning again....cheers
https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au...ur-Post-Paid-USB-Mobile-Broadband/ta-p/485392

Last edited:

Ask a Question