Wifi not working on 1st boot

Reaction score
Hi guys for the last three days when i boot my Dell Vostro laptop running windows 10 for the first time the Wifi is turned off i have not changed anything in the settings.

Sometimes a simple reboot gets it working and sometimes its a real pain to get working

Anybody know why this has happened

Reaction score
A friend just upgraded W7 to W10 this afternoon. Neither her Wifi nor her printer worked until she rebooted the PC. Then they both came up just fine. I have seen that behavior before on Insider builds.

Reaction score
Tim I may be wrong, I've only done 5 upgrades. But I'm sure the upgrade program inform the user at some point during the installation to remove the disk, reboot the PC then install the disk again after the reboot process to continue with the install process?

Most folks don't bother to read the instructions anyway, PC's are no different, user just hit next to get on with the process. Patience is the key when performing an upgrade, following the on screen instructions helps too. LOL

Reaction score
That is the way Windows USED to work. I installed a brand new, just built, totally empty machine, from a MS official DVD and it did not ask me to remove the DVD even when I booted the machine after it had completed the install. It did stop in the Bios tho' asking if I wanted to install Windows! I wonder...if this new machine with an empty SSD and 16Gb of RAM just read the whole DVD in one gulp and never looked at it again.

Reaction score
Hi i have tried rebooting the router and updated the wifi driver and its just the same.

The wifi will only work on the second boot

Reaction score
Check the status of the Network Adapter after the first boot. What IP address is it showing versus what it shows when it is actually working.

It has been my experience a situation like that is related to a driver not installing correctly until after the first boot. So I would probably use Device Manager to Uninstall the Network Adapter and check the box to uninstall all drivers. Then load Win 10 drivers from the OEM site or let Win 10 install its own.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I agree with Saltgrass.
Get rid of it and its' drivers in Device Manager and then install the proper drivers.
Something to NOTE though is that, when it comes to "Laptops" the hardware drivers can be a bit proprietary.
You may have an integrated Realtek or Intel wireless adapter and normally, I'd suggest going right to Realtek or Intel and grab the latest drivers they have available. However, you may find it necessary to use only those drivers provided by Dell in your case, even if you have to resort to a Windows 8 or even a Windows 7 driver.
Additionally you may need other hardware drivers from Dell to properly support the sub-system architecture that the wireless adapter depends on, so.....
Go to Dell Support site, plug in your Service Tag number and see what they have for Windows 10 drivers for your specific machine, paying particular attention to any BIOS or Chipset updates and of course your wireless adapter driver.
Finally, does the laptop have an Ethernet port?
IF so have you tried that to determine if you have a similar problem when using a wired network connection.
I ask, because that might suggest and actual Windows OS problem rather than the more narrow wireless adapter / driver problem.

Reaction score
Ok thank for the advice i have deleted the drivers and installed new drivers so i will see how this works tomorrow. as if i reboot now everything will work ok its onlt if the computer has been turned off overnight.

I can not get any help from Dell if it input my service tag they say they do not support windows 10 on this machine

Reaction score
This may be of interest to users of Dell Desktop/Laptops

Dell Computers tested for upgrade to Windows 10

Table of Contents:
  1. How to Determine Your Computer Model
  2. Select Your Computer Type
This article designates the Dell laptops and desktops that have been tested for upgrade to Windows 10 and tested for Windows 10 November update. If your device is not listed in the tables below, Dell is not testing the device, drivers have not been updated for that model, and Dell does not recommended an upgrade to Windows 10. If you wish to proceed with an upgrade to Windows 10 on an untested system, Microsoft provides information and support for upgrade through their upgrade website.

If your computer model has been tested for upgrade to Windows 10, proceed to the Windows 10 upgrade walkthrough for step-by-step upgrade instructions and general upgrade issues.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN297954

TAKE THIS INFORMATION WITH A GRAIN OF SALT
I have upgraded 2 Dell Optiplex 760 desktops and a Dell Inspiron 1545 sucessfully, all accepted the Windows 10 upgrade and are operating without any symptoms or glitches. Download Dell Diagnostics and run the complete Dell diagnostic tool, it will give you a full analysis of your Laptop.

@Norton

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I can not get any help from Dell if it input my service tag they say they do not support windows 10 on this machine
That does not necessarily mean that a Windows 8 or 8.1 driver might not be available for your particular computer (BIOS, Chipset, Wireless Adapter) which you may find helps with some problems and might be worth a try.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. It's not like you're going to make it worse.

Reaction score
My feeling is there is nothing about Win 10 which would make you want to upgrade. If your system has full functionally with an earlier OS it may not be worth going to Win 10. Of course, that would depend on your exact situation.

But Dell does have some systems which will cause drastic problems going to Win 10, such a failure to boot and system replacement. The 2310 and/or the 2710 come to mind.

Reaction score
Hi guys just an update i still have this problem where y WiFi is turned off on the first boot of the day or it the computer has been turned off for a long time.

But today i have noticed i think the problem is on the boot sequence as when windows 10 boots to the log in screen i can see if the WiFi is on or not that even before windows loads its drivers

Am i right in thinking this or will windows have loaded the drivers at the log in screen?

Reaction score
You are correct in that the WiFi icon should be on the Lock and Log On screens and you can check the connect before you sign into Windows.

Something you might do is to create a Boot log for Windows. Open Msconfig.exe and go to the boot tab. Check the option to create boot log and reboot. The log will be created in the Windows directory and be named ntbtlog.txt. You can go through that and check for a Network driver being successfully loaded. Be aware the log is rewritten every time you boot so copy and rename it someplace like the desktop. Drivers will show as failing and made be retried later in the log. Comparing the log when the device operates normally and when it doesn't may show a difference of something not being loaded.

Look for drivers which indicate as not being loaded. It may not even be the WiFi Adapter driver but some other underlying driver or process.

You can also open msinfo32.exe and check the Components section for Problem Devices. Maybe something will show up there.

To me it would be important to check both when the device was working and when it wasn't and see if you can find any differences.

Ask a Question