Will error 80070005 ever be Explained or Solved?

Reaction score
I tried for weeks to get an answer to error upgrading to Win 10 error code 80070005. No one knows what this code means. Cant MS have meaning to these codes instead of a catchall error for everything.

I tried to upgrade to win 10 from 8.1 on HP Pavillion x64 laptop. Began weeks ago Got error 80070005. Spent entire week of 7/25 to midnite 7/29 and tried everything SubInAcl.exe Registry cleaner(CCleaner). Spent Hours with Costco support and hours with MS Support on phone. MS support tech left the remoter session without resolution or notice, he gave up Friday night before 11:30PM PST. Even the Media Creation tool failed to run.
Looks like a number of people had this failure w/o resolution. Left by MS without any fix to problem. Have Win 10.iso file on administrator desktop and folder with extraction of files on desktiop but NO Win 10, still failed. Now time ran out.

Still no Win 10. Will MS extend time for upgrade or make me go to Ubuntu Linux? The world ask where is Microsoft support when you need them?

Reaction score
The error would seem to be Access Denied. If that is correct, of course it would follow to ask "What Access".

I have no reason to think there is only one situation where this error might occur. Could it be a anti-virus situation or a specific partition access? Could it be some file or folder which can't be moved.

If you have special software or external storage locations it might be referring to that.

All I could do is to run an update troubleshooter and check the Event Viewer to see if any messages show up there.

If it only happens with the Windows 10 upgrade then it might even be the server access.

Ask a Question