Will not start

Reaction score
After installing the Anniversary update Windows 10 said it had a problem and could not start so I went to the previous days restore point and clicked restore. However, after some time it once again said it had a problem and could not start. I have tried booting from a Windows Media USB and attempted automatic repair without success. The error message that comes up after attempting repair is not always the same. Sometimes it says "Error Oxc0000001" or Error Oxc000000e" or "Missing File Windows\System32\winload.exe" and one time it said "NTLDR is missing". I have tried running the commands :Bootrec /fix Mbr Fix Boot and ScanOS also the same commands using Bootsect still no go.
When I try to start Windows 10 the Blue Windows Logo appears on a black screen the the logo disappears and there is the revolving dots on the black screen after some time the windows opening music plays but the screen remains black with the revolving dots.
Can anyone please help me fix this situation?

Reaction score
Further to my post I advise that I have tried "Automatic Repair" several times and after my last attempt the following message appeared:
YOUR PC//DEVICE NEEDS TO BE REPAIRED
The application or operating system couldn't be launched because a required file is missing or contains errors
File: \Windows.old\WINDOWS\system32\winload.exe
Error code: oxcoooooof
Does this help at all? Cannot understand why I have not received a singe suggested solution to my problem.

Reaction score
Anytime you see some message about NTLDR you are looking at an Win XP situation. Since you seem to be all over the map with the messages it is hard to determine what you might need.

To get away from an NTLDR comment you might to run a Bootsect command to change the boot to a Windows 7/8/10 loader which would mean an /nt60 switch.

There have been many folks with a boot problem. I have seen error messages which point to all aspects of the boot process. If you can narrow your problem down to one specific error we might be able to help. But I have seen problem with the winload file on the OS partition which may need to be replaced. That is not easy or even possible to do. Let us know if you can pin down the exact problem.

The bcd store may actually be pointing to the Windows.old folder but that is the archive version of the OS. It needs to point to the actual install.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Don't know what you mean when you say I am all over the map. However I did try the command "bootsect /nt60 sys" and received message "Bootcode was successfully updated on all targeted volumes" but W10 still would not boot so I tried "Bootsect /nt60 all" and received message " c: Successfully updated NTFS filesystem bootcode
D: " " FAT32 " "
E: " " NTFS " " "
But still I just get the Blue Window at start then a Black Screen with revolving dots and after about 3 minutes the opening music, but still a black screen with white cursor and the revolving dots.

Reaction score
But still I just get the Blue Window at start then a Black Screen with revolving dots and after about 3 minutes the opening music, but still a black screen with white cursor and the revolving dots.
This might mean it is trying to repair the system. How long do you let it go like that?

By all over the map I mean you would normally just get one type of message regarding some type of boot error. If you were running Windows 10 and booting successfully you should not be seeing any NTLDR messages. I could only maybe explain that because of your comments about Windows.old. If your BCD store had an XP entry it may have jumped to that for some reason.

The missing winload.exe is something I have seen in other threads. Possibly the update did not replace that file correctly so it is not able to boot the system.

If you can boot into install media, can you get to the Command prompt option? You could try replacing the BCD store but it the winload.exe file is involved it may not help.

To replace the BCD store you need to know for sure which drive letter it is showing. So you start with Diskpart to find the OS partition and then use the BCD boot command to replace the store.

Diskpart
lis vol
exit

bcdboot C:\Windows

The C here should be the letter for the OS partition from Diskpart. If it is not C use the one shown.

You could try to replace the winload.exe file but it may be complicated because of permissions, especially if you are using Install media.

Reaction score
When I run Diskpart list volume the following appears:
Volume 0 F DVD ROM
Volume 1 G DVD ROM
Volume 2 E Recovery NTFS Partition 13GB Healthy
Volume 3 C OS NTFS Partition 917GB Healthy
Volume 4 D Recovery FAT32 3744MB
Volume 5 FAT Partition 39MB Hidden

Reaction score
Ran "bcdboot C:\Windows" said it was successful but when I went to boot from hard disk nothing had changed. Thanks for your help Saltgrass.

Reaction score
I am looking at your listing in Reply #6 and I do not show anything showing as "Boot" or "System". This may be because you are not actually booted into Windows.

I see the Flash Drive you are probably using, but what is Volume 5 FAT Partition 39 MB. Can you remove it?

If you wanted you could use Diskpart to list the partitions in order by selecting the disk and listing.

diskpart
lis dis
sel dis 0
lis par

This would show all partitions on that drive only. If you don't want to hand copy the info, use a camera to take a picture and attach.

I have seen problems in all phases of the booting process. If repairing the BCD store did not help, there are no other utilities I know of to help. Remember, some problems may require multiple repair tries if it will even work at all. But you may be looking at a reinstall.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Ran "bcdboot C:\Windows" said it was successful but when I went to boot from hard disk nothing had changed.
I believe after relocating the Boot Configuration Data < bcdboot c:\windows /s c: > you'll need to set the partition where you moved it to "Active" in order for Windows to boot from it.
Although I may be wrong. Saltgrass certainly knows more about this kind of stuff than I.

Reaction score
I am looking at your listing in Reply #6 and I do not show anything showing as "Boot" or "System". This may be because you are not actually booted into Windows.

I see the Flash Drive you are probably using, but what is Volume 5 FAT Partition 39 MB. Can you remove it?

If you wanted you could use Diskpart to list the partitions in order by selecting the disk and listing.

diskpart
lis dis
sel dis 0
lis par

This would show all partitions on that drive only. If you don't want to hand copy the info, use a camera to take a picture and attach.

I have seen problems in all phases of the booting process. If repairing the BCD store did not help, there are no other utilities I know of to help. Remember, some problems may require multiple repair tries if it will even work at all. But you may be looking at a reinstall.
After running the Commands you have suggested, have the following details:
Partition #### Type Size Offset
Partition 1 OEM 39MB 31KB
Partition 2 Primary 13GB 40MB
Partition 3 Primary 917GB 13GB
Does this help. Thanks.

Reaction score
Sorry, no it does not help. I had a Dell system which had a 40 MB OEM partition but that is the only time I have seen one with a small partition like yours. The next partition is 13 GB which seems to be a Recovery Image partition which normally is the last partition on the drive. Have you been moving things around or changing the partitioning yourself?

The bottom line is if Bcdboot was not able to restore your boot and none of the Recovery Options on the boot media will work, I have nothing else to try except a reinstall. You may be able to boot to a Ubuntu Live DVD and get access to your files or use a new hard drive to reinstall and keep the current one as a second or external drive.

Reaction score
Thanks for your help anyway Saltgrass. I can only hope that if the Microsoft Crew end up with another Trillion dollars or so they might eventually get Windows to work without stumbles.

Ask a Question