Win 10 and NVIDIA

Reaction score
I have grave concerns that should I upgrade to Windows 10 Pro (or whatever it is called) from Windows 7 Pro, my main desktop system will end up with four dark screens. This is because I have two NVIDIA graphics adapters driving my four screens, and at this point I don't trust Windows 10 to support NVIDIA. I have a backup machine with an off-brand NVIDIA-based graphics card that ran well under Win 10 for about nine months, but went dark after what appeared to be a routine Windows 10 upgrade.

So now, my main machine, has two NVIDIA controllers:
  • NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
  • NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT
Can anyone tell me if these are compatible with Windows 10?

Reaction score
GeForce 341.95 Driver - http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/99998

Version: 341.95 - WHQL
Release Date: Wed Mar 16, 2016
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
Language: English (US)
File Size: 270.37 MB

Supported Products

GeForce 400 Series
GeForce 405
GeForce 300 Series
GeForce GT 340, GeForce GT 330, GeForce GT 320, GeForce 315, GeForce 310
GeForce 200 Series
GeForce GTX 295, GeForce GTX 285, GeForce GTX 280, GeForce GTX 275, GeForce GTX 260,
GeForce GTS 250, GeForce GTS 240, GeForce GT 230, GeForce GT 240, GeForce GT 220,
GeForce G210, GeForce 210, GeForce 205
GeForce 100 Series
GeForce GT 140, GeForce GT 130, GeForce GT 120, GeForce G100
GeForce 9 Series
GeForce 9800 GX2, GeForce 9800 GTX/GTX , GeForce 9800 GT, GeForce 9600 GT, GeForce 9600 GSO,
GeForce 9600 GSO 512, GeForce 9600 GS, GeForce 9500 GT, GeForce 9500 GS, GeForce 9400 GT,
GeForce 9400, GeForce 9300 GS, GeForce 9300 GE, GeForce 9300 SE, GeForce 9300, GeForce 9200,
GeForce 9100
GeForce 8 Series
GeForce 8800 Ultra, GeForce 8800 GTX, GeForce 8800 GTS 512, GeForce 8800 GTS, GeForce 8800 GT,
GeForce 8800 GS, GeForce 8600 GTS, GeForce 8600 GT, GeForce 8600 GS, GeForce 8500 GT,
GeForce 8400 GS, GeForce 8400 SE, GeForce 8400, GeForce 8300 GS, GeForce 8300, GeForce 8200,
GeForce 8200 /nForce 730a, GeForce 8100 /nForce 720a
ION (Desktops)
ION, ION LE

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
When I search nVidia for drivers for those two cards it looks to me like the driver version 341.95 supports both Windows 7 (32 & 64 bit) as well as Windows 10 (32 & 64 bit). Same driver for both cards.
So that would suggest that if you are currently running that driver on you Windows 7 Pro machine that the update should not result in a driver problem, however.....
There does seem to be some issues as to the interface cable connecting the monitors to the cards (VGA, DVI, HDMI or Display Port). AND not having either of those cards in either of my two physical machines running Windows 10 I could not say for certain if you might have some issues or not.
First you might wait to see if someone with that actual hardware configuration or at least something similar has a comment.
Second, I would not consider updating from Windows 7 to Windows 10 without first making sure that all my critical data was backed up and safe and that I had a recent, known good disk image that would allow me to recover my Windows 7 install, if things went sideways.
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/

I can say that I have dual monitors connected to an nVidia GTX 760 one using an HDMI cable and the other using an HDMI to Display Port conversion cable.
But that's of no relevance as that card is using 368.22 driver version which is not applicable to your particular hardware.

Reaction score
When I search nVidia for drivers for those two cards it looks to me like the driver version 341.95 supports both Windows 7 (32 & 64 bit) as well as Windows 10 (32 & 64 bit). ...

TROUBLE, as stated my prior experience was with my backup system under the Microsoft Early Adopter program. I found a device driver on the NVIDIA website that supported the Sparkle PC 8400GS graphics card, and it worked well until a Microsoft update replaced it. So, while I'm confident I can find a device driver on the NVIDIA website to support my two cards, my big concern is that a Microsoft update will replace it with something else and I'll be left with either two or four blank screens.

Is there a way that I can block the Windows 10 updates from replacing a particular device driver?

(PS: I paid $49.99 for the card ... apparently they are no longer being sold, and someone is asking a ridiculous price for one on Amazon.com: $8,042.44 -- Yikes. But that IS NOT my issue, I just want to get the two cards on my main work-horse machine working under Windows 10 without fear of a device driver wipe out).

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I don't seem to have any problem with Windows Update and my nVidia driver as long as I keep it updated using nVidia as a source.
Again, I cannot say for certain that you will enjoy the same experience.
There is a means of at least temporarily blocking
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Reaction score
I don't seem to have any problem with Windows Update and my nVidia driver as long as I keep it updated using nVidia as a source....
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930
Trouble,
I have no problem with updating from nVidia, so long as Microsoft doesn't turn around the next day and replace it with a device driver that makes my nVidia driver non-functional (and presents me with two blank screens). Yes, I'd like to use nVidia as the source, but MS recommends you use them, and to enforce that recommendation, they simply wipe out the device driver that does work and replace it with a "better" (I assume) device driver that doesn't work.

So, this begs the question: is there any way to keep MS Windows 10 Update from replacing a device driver?

Reaction score
Trouble,
I have no problem with updating from nVidia, so long as Microsoft doesn't turn around the next day and replace it with a device driver that makes my nVidia driver non-functional (and presents me with two blank screens). Yes, I'd like to use nVidia as the source, but MS recommends you use them, and to enforce that recommendation, they simply wipe out the device driver that does work and replace it with a "better" (I assume) device driver that doesn't work.

So, this begs the question: is there any way to keep MS Windows 10 Update from replacing a device driver?
This version of Windows is the worst ever. It's clear the fact that the makers of it want to gain full control of our computers. Linux is a better choice now.

Reaction score
I have grave concerns that should I upgrade to Windows 10 Pro (or whatever it is called) from Windows 7 Pro, my main desktop system will end up with four dark screens. This is because I have two NVIDIA graphics adapters driving my four screens, and at this point I don't trust Windows 10 to support NVIDIA. I have a backup machine with an off-brand NVIDIA-based graphics card that ran well under Win 10 for about nine months, but went dark after what appeared to be a routine Windows 10 upgrade.

So now, my main machine, has two NVIDIA controllers:
  • NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
  • NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT
Can anyone tell me if these are compatible with Windows 10?

The 8800 GT is as I am using one in my insider box. and I have had no problems with it yet. so I would suppose the 9500 would be ok too.

Reaction score
Bob FYI,
W10 Pro, if-when installed, allows you to defer incremental upgrades for up to 12 months and updates for up to 4 weeks.
This is done by editing Group Policy (gpedit.msc).

Reaction score
I update from nVidia using GEFORCE and Windows has never replaced a driver. Just got 368.39 this morning.

Reaction score
This version of Windows is the worst ever. It's clear the fact that the makers of it want to gain full control of our computers. Linux is a better choice now.
Cristian, I hesitate to respond to your remark, "Linux is a better choice now," because I do not want to start a flame war (and so often these remarks end up that way). As it turns out, I have two machines with Linux installed, and both are fine with respect to what they do. However, I have some big $$$ invested in software that is available only on Windows, and I need those capabilities with my everyday stuff I do on the computer. These are a large graphics program and a large desktop publishing program. I don't do any games. On these older machines with limited resources. I've tried Wine with unsatisfactory results. If you want to discuss this further, please post a link to another thread, and I'll respond. Thanks for your concern.

Reaction score
Bob FYI,
W10 Pro, if-when installed, allows you to defer incremental upgrades for up to 12 months and updates for up to 4 weeks.
This is done by editing Group Policy (gpedit.msc).
MrEd, thanks for your post. Since I have Windows 7 Professional installed on my main machine (the one I want to update), it seems likely that the W10 update would be to W10 Pro. Something to look forward to!

Reaction score
David H, thanks for the post. This is indeed encouraging!
I used Iobit's Driver booster on my system after i upgraded to win 10 and it updated a lot of the drivers including the 8800gt and it made quite a difference for me.

Mines in a HP XW4600 Workstation Twin pcie but one of my Gt8800's died on me so no playing with the SLI until I find another one

But the 8800 is nice and stable no problems on Youtube or playing movies So you should be good to go.

Reaction score
David H, I've not heard of Iobit's Driver booster until reading your post. Does this keep Windows 10 from overriding the Iobit device drivers? Is there a big difference between Driver Booster Free and Driver Boster Pro, other than Pro cost $23 initially and then $75/year thereafter?

Reaction score
David H, I've not heard of Iobit's Driver booster until reading your post. Does this keep Windows 10 from overriding the Iobit device drivers? Is there a big difference between Driver Booster Free and Driver Boster Pro, other than Pro cost $23 initially and then $75/year thereafter?
I just stick with the free versions, sure they disable a couple of things, but the main stuff works, and is free. The only one I don't use is the Malware fighter. The uninstaller is brilliant. Way better than any windows ones

Reaction score
Tim Locke, are these automatic updates from MS? Or automatic updates from nVidia?

Nvidia. GEFORCE Experience is running all the time and checks for updates , I guess once a day, and tells me when there is a new driver...which I then click on that message and a new driver is downloaded and installs.

Recently, on another PC that had just got the free upgrade to 10 I plugged in a spare Nvidia card. Windows had/found its own Nvidia driver which worked. I manually went to Nvidia.com and downloaded GEFORCE Experience which then downloaded a new driver and it all worked.

Ask a Question