SOLVED Win 10 Back Up Error

Reaction score
Since upgrading to Windows 10 Pro; Every time I perform a full back Windows 10 folders (Let Windows Decide) up to DVD I receive the following error message: Back-Up complete with errors.

"Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\USER-PC. Error:(The system cannot find the file specified. (0x80070002)) I searched to no avail and I can't locate this folder. Would the back up be looking for and old Windows 7 Pro folder? Any help would be really appreciated.

PS System Image works fine without error.

Thanks!
Norton

Reaction score
Have you ever enabled the true Administrator account?

Are you given options during the backup to pick and choose folders. If you do, try selecting yourself and do not include any such folder. You are only doing a file backup of your files so you need to choose folders where you keep your data.

Reaction score
Saltgrass Thanks for your quick response and help on this issue. I did some more searching on error code 0x80070002
Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\USER-PC. Error:(0x80070002)

MS had a fix:
In Control Panel, open Backup and Restore.
In the Backup section, click Change settings.
In the Set up backup dialog box, click Next.
In the What do you want to back up dialog box, click Let me choose, and then click Next.
Expand Data Files, expand <your user name> Libraries.
Expand Additional Locations, and then click to clear the AppData folder, Contacts, and Searches check boxes.
Expand Computer, expand the item for your system drive (for example, expand Local Disk (C:)),
Expand Users, expand <your user name>, and then click to select the AppData, Contacts, and Searches check boxes if they exist.
Click Next, and then click Save settings and exit.
In Backup and Restore, click Back up now to perform a new backup. The backup operation should complete without errors.

It worked great back up completed error free. First time!:)
Grrreat Forum, help and great members.

@Norton

Reaction score
Glad you got it worked out. Not sure why the Administrator folder was ever included to start with but if you did not set it yourself you might keep an eye out to see if something is causing it to be added.

Reaction score
Saltgrass Thanks for your quick response and help on this issue. I did some more searching on error code 0x80070002
Backup encountered a problem while backing up file C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\USER-PC. Error:(0x80070002)

MS had a fix:
In Control Panel, open Backup and Restore.
In the Backup section, click Change settings.
In the Set up backup dialog box, click Next.
In the What do you want to back up dialog box, click Let me choose, and then click Next.
Expand Data Files, expand <your user name> Libraries.
Expand Additional Locations, and then click to clear the AppData folder, Contacts, and Searches check boxes.
Expand Computer, expand the item for your system drive (for example, expand Local Disk (C:)),
Expand Users, expand <your user name>, and then click to select the AppData, Contacts, and Searches check boxes if they exist.
Click Next, and then click Save settings and exit.
In Backup and Restore, click Back up now to perform a new backup. The backup operation should complete without errors.

It worked great back up completed error free. First time!:)
Grrreat Forum, help and great members.

@Norton

OK TO DELETE BACK UP FILES?
I have a similar problem with Win10 Home with what appear to be excess back up files in the main directory on one day March 21, 2016 during multiple attempts to Reset/Restore. There are 107 auto back up files each numbered from 1 to 107 and each about 307 megs. BIG! This week I had to do an ISO fix and now back to where I was prior to problems and all Apps and data saved; running Ver 1511, build 10586.104. So, can I delete all of those back up files made prior to the ISO fix?
Thanks,
jimlestax

Ask a Question