Win 10 fails at about 95% install

Reaction score
HELP -has anyone come across this problem.....

I go to Windows Update and click 'Upgrade to Windows10' and the download starts (takes about 1 1/2 hours each time). Goes through the install and setup routine until it gets to the final stages (the round circle on the screen with the percentage shown in the middle) and then, without any warning, the computer restarts with a blank black screen with just a message across the bottom saying 'Installing your previous version of Windows'. I have done this 4 times now and always the same result at about the same stage.

I am running an ACER Aspire E1-572P Core i5 with Windows 8.1, 750G HDD, 4Gb ram. I have AVG (free) installed and running and Windows Defender.

Anyone any ideas please......any and all help greatly appreciated.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I think my first suggestion would be to completely uninstall AVG.
First using the programs and features applet in the control panel and then follow that up with the vendor specific, proprietary removal tool from here http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities
Then I'd recommend downloading the installation media file (ISO) from here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench

Once you have the ISO you can double click it to mount it and then run setup.exe from the mounted virtual drive to perform the in-place upgrade from within your current 8.1 install.

Please create a disk image and backup any and all critical data before proceeding.
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/

Reaction score
HELP -has anyone come across this problem.....

I go to Windows Update and click 'Upgrade to Windows10' and the download starts (takes about 1 1/2 hours each time). Goes through the install and setup routine until it gets to the final stages (the round circle on the screen with the percentage shown in the middle) and then, without any warning, the computer restarts with a blank black screen with just a message across the bottom saying 'Installing your previous version of Windows'. I have done this 4 times now and always the same result at about the same stage.

I am running an ACER Aspire E1-572P Core i5 with Windows 8.1, 750G HDD, 4Gb ram. I have AVG (free) installed and running and Windows Defender.

Anyone any ideas please......any and all help greatly appreciated.

I have been having the same problem. Spent 3 hrs w/support, but problem remains. I am running ASUS E232 Series All-In-One with WIN 10 x64-based system.

Reaction score
Since the OP has not reposted, I assume they still have the problem. I had that problem and it was caused by a BIOS modification I had made. I selected Fast Boot (in BIOS) and that caused the problem. I went back to BIOS and selected Optimized Defaults and then had no problem with the update. Later on I went back and again selected Fast Boot, in fact Ultra Fast Boot, and now my pc starts and is at the desktop in just 13 seconds (I have a SSD).

Ask a Question