Win 10 icon highlights missing

Reaction score
When Win 10 was installed on my system, I was upset to find out that I couldn't use the keyboard as before.

When I clicked on an application and ran it, then closed it, I was returned to the desktop as always. But the application I had just run was not highlighted. Consequently, when I pressed the Down cursor to run the application below it, I couldn't make it work. I concluded that it was designed for mouse-users only.

But after a few months, it started keeping the highlights, and then I could happily work as before.

Now, a few months later, it has reverted to the initial condition. No matter what application I execute, the desktop has nothing highlighted, just as if I had just turned the system on.

When the system started to show the highlights, I decided that somebody at Microsoft realized that some of us old keyboard users are still alive, and wanted to keep us happy.

Now that this has gone away again, I'm pretty sure that most of this is happening by chance.

Reaction score
I concluded that it was designed for mouse-users only.
Haven't seen the issue yet but wanted to note that actually, beginning with Win8, the designing seemed to be more towards touch-screen as we were getting firmly entrenched using it with cellphones/smart phones and Notebooks, hence the Tiles on the screen. Many folks liked the alternate solutions like Start Classic, Start8, and others for the Start button. Maybe a solution for what you see lies in one of those.

Reaction score
Bighorn seems to be a very nice fellow, but I'm concerned that some people might think my question has been answered. The blunders of Win 8 seem to me to be beside the point. The keyboard is still honored, to some extent,
and my complaint is that the responses of Win 10 seem to vary. The behavior I would like to retain was not honored,
then it was, and then it wasn't again, within the space of a year or less.
My take on that is that either there is a big design struggle going on inside the Microsoft team, or the responses to the user are simply shifting over time. Blowing in the wind, perhaps.

Ask a Question