SOLVED Win 10 "mail"

Reaction score
Just upgraded to 10 and had a lot of mail folders that I created while on win7 ultimate. I was using the stock e-mail client included in win7.
Two questions:
1) How do you import folders from the old win7 to win 10 ? (the upgrade didn't bring them over)

2)Cannot seem to add new folders in the win10 mail client.

I have a lot of folders that I need to move over if possible.

Thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I was using the stock e-mail client included in win7
There was no "stock" native email client in Windows 7, you may be talking about Live Mail, which I believe was part of Windows Essentials and I believe (could be wrong) still works in Windows 10. In any event as I recall Live Mail kept cloud storage very similar to Hotmail.com and outlook.com so it may be just a matter of adding that old account into your Windows 10 mail client.
Worse case.... they may still be in your Windows.OLD folder.

As far as adding new folders into the new mail app.... not very handy so far along with some other features like trying to select all when you want to delete stuff.
You can do it online at (e-mail address removed) or Hotmail.com whichever you are using. You can add and delete new folders on line and they will show up on your computer in the mail app.
It's all about the cloud.... whether we like it or not I guess.

Reaction score
Man, it was so long ago that I forgot that it was a part of Windows Essentials. You were right it was called, " live mail".
I just hope I can install it on 10. It is still in Windows.Old folder as you have mentioned. Thanks for taking the time to reply. Much appreciated.

Reaction score
You just made my night. Download Windows Essentials and just installed the Live Mail and skipped the rest, and it works perfect ! Brought all of my stuff over from the win.old file and I am back in business.
I am really liking win10. For just being released it is really enjoyable to use.
If MS keeps this up I just might have to take another look at a Win phone when the time comes.
Again, thank you so much for your knowledge and help !

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You're welcome and I'm glad to hear that you managed to resolve your issue.
Thanks for posting back and updating your thread with that information.
Regarding a Windows Phone, I have two and my wife has one. We like them, but.....
I would hold off for a while. There are probably going to be some nice options soon as Windows 10 mobile rolls out in the way of flagship phones as well as mid-priced and low end as well.

Reaction score
There was no "stock" native email client in Windows 7, you may be talking about Live Mail, which I believe was part of Windows Essentials and I believe (could be wrong) still works in Windows 10. In any event as I recall Live Mail kept cloud storage very similar to Hotmail.com and outlook.com so it may be just a matter of adding that old account into your Windows 10 mail client.
Worse case.... they may still be in your Windows.OLD folder.

As far as adding new folders into the new mail app.... not very handy so far along with some other features like trying to select all when you want to delete stuff.
You can do it online at (e-mail address removed) or Hotmail.com whichever you are using. You can add and delete new folders on line and they will show up on your computer in the mail app.
It's all about the cloud.... whether we like it or not I guess.
Well, this is a very old post but very full of misinformation (!) YES, there was definitely an email client internal to Windows 7 called Windows Live Mail and I am still using it while I try to find some decent email client instead of the current crop of junk so-called-Outlook stuff. And heavens NO, the Live Mail had no "Cloud" relationship of any kind. Experienced users of the REAL Outlook years ago would turn in their graves to see what gets called Outlook today. If Live Mail was part of Essentials, so? That was integral to pre-loaded Windows 7 on my PC in 2012. [I just installed a new Win 10 HP machine 1/13/20.] The new MAIL app in Win 10 is so feeble I uninstalled it after a couple days trial. The "pay-extra via Office 365" Outlook is very nearly as offensive with an identical interface to MAIL. It does use a .pst file like the real Outlook once did but the resemblance ends there. No ordinary user can Import or Export anything. It is aimed at tying you into cloud-based garbage. You have NO CHOICE as to where your INBOX exists or whether your messages get left on the server or not (!) Just a big cluster jerk. One local user THINKS his messages are left on his server but no way to find out and no settings to use to direct that feature. On and on.

Do Not Confuse the many so-called OUTLOOK things out there. Today's Outlook.Live for example bears no resemblance at all to Live Mail.
"It's all about the cloud" over my dead body. Cloud features will be disabled, uninstalled or removed ...one way or the other.

I am in the market for a way to load Win Mail, Live Mail or any sane email client into a Win 10 platform. Even a 20 year old copy of the real Outlook would be a huge luxury! (If it will load into Win 10 environs.)

Ask a Question