SOLVED Win 10 password doesn't work after August 2016 update

Reaction score
I had exactly the same “password problem” as everyone else here, but I fixed it. As it turned out the PW needed was the PW for an old email address previously used with the MS account. The process I used was:

1. After you try to input a PW on the splash screen you’ll see a power icon in the lower right corner of your screen. Click that and you’ll have three options. Now hold down the shift key while clicking the restart option… after a few seconds you’ll get to a screen that offers 3 or 4 options (depending on your system).

2. Click troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Repair… it will take a minute or so for the PC to try the repair, but in the end you’ll get a message saying it was unable to make the repair (that’s because the startup isn’t really broken).

3. Now click OK or continue or whatever and you’ll get a login screen; different than the login when you initially boot the PC… but immediately above the space of the PW is an email address. In my case, it was on old email address previously used with the MS account. After entering the old PW associated with that old address, the PC continued to install the update which took 15-20 minutes.

4. Voila! When the install completed I was at my desktop. After a several seconds the MS account login popup appeared. Enter the current account email & PW; NOT the old email & PW. You will now be connected to your MS account.

5. Click on the start icon or the windows key; then Settings > Accounts > Sign-in Options. Here you’ll need to change two things:

- First change your MS PW. Restart the PC; login with the new PW and return to this same Sign-in Options screen using the instructions above.

- Second, delete the PIN… then add a new PIN. Restart and you should now be able to sign-in with either the PIN or the new PW.

Ask a Question