SOLVED Win 10 recovery USB not accessed trying to repair not booting problem

Reaction score
I'm a pensioner & complete novice trying to solve issues using web search. My wife's Acer laptop upgraded successfully from Win 8.1 to Win 10. Think laptop power was switched off (27Oct15) whilst it was in sleep mode, and since then each power on shows Acer logo then shows 'preparing Automatic Repair' but screen goes blank after some 15 minutes. Tried several possible solutions and discussed with Acer who now say they will send recovery disc for Win 8.1 OS. Will use this as last resort but really can't understand why our Win 10 recovery USB is not being accessed (it was created successfully straight after Win 10 upgrade)? Been changing various options using <F2> key at boot up to access Setup Utility with no luck, but noticed I can not change the Secure Boot?
Have read similar posts but all seem to be making the changes once Win 10 has loaded, which I can't achieve. Also worried that if I have to use the Win 8.1 recovery disc, how do I 'upgrade' again to Win 10 and will same problem recur after future incorrect shut downs? Can I get Microsoft to send me a Win 10 recovery disc?
A lot of questions here but all I want to do is get the laptop running with Win 10 - any help would be greatly appreciated.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Does the Acer website for your make/model laptop have driver/software support for the windows 10 upgrade? If not, then I'd stick with windows 8.1.

Reaction score
When booting from a USB flash drive, the file format must be FAT32 while creating the boot media for the UEFI bios to see it. Also you would have to be able to get into the UEFI bios to change the boot sequence to boot to the USB drive first.

Microsoft allows you to download installation media online for both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. Just do a Google search and you should be able to find the right web page.

Please note that is is a clean install of Windows 8.1 with no preinstalled software.

I normally hear of Windows 10 having a corrupt upgrade due to having bad preinstalled Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 media. I just upgraded to Windows 10 last night and had no trouble. But looks like some people are still having issues.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I think Leo is probably correct
Been changing various options using <F2> key at boot up to access Setup Utility with no luck, but noticed I can not change the Secure Boot?
There are some system BIOS that do not support disabling secure boot and you will need to have created your
really can't understand why our Win 10 recovery USB is not being accessed
Using a method that supports both UEFI as well as GPT (which is the likely configuration of your wife's 8.1 laptop.

IF you have access to a second computer you can use Rufus from here http://rufus.akeo.ie/
BUT make sure you set it according to this image here
Rufus.JPG

IF you do not have the appropriate ISO on hand (it has to be like for like both version and bit architecture 32 or 64 bit) for your wife's laptop.
The installation media can be obtain through either of these two resources.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
OR
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, either of which you can use to boot your computer.
You can then use that the same way you would use the Windows 10 Recovery media, you just need to advance past the initial screen where you select a Language and Keyboard layout to the second screen to use the "Repair your PC link, to access the advanced trouble shooting options.

As Jim (bassfissher6522) has already pointed out, make sure her Acer laptop is suitable for Windows 10, which the folks at Acer should be able to help you with.

Reaction score
Can you get into safe mode? Use the msconfig option to do so as it's the easiest way. Once in safe mode then try those fixes you mentioned.

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/5-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-8-windows-81
Very pleased with positive responses and am trying to work through each in order. As far as I can determine my wife's laptop no longer has Win 8.1 OS installed - presume it was overwritten by upgrade to Win 10. However I strongly suspect it is Acer's recovery partition (Win 8.1 OS) that is trying to be accessed when booting from hard drive.
I basically cannot get an OS to boot so out of the 5 ways 1 & 2 seem to use the OS so cannot be used.
3 don't have a recovery CD/DVD & it won't boot from Recovery USB.
4 on memory Win 10 used Recovery Media Creator to create our System Recovery USB (I'm seeing mention of Memory Stick USB & USB Flash Drive in the same article - are these the same thing)? We used a Verbatim Store n Go classed as a portable HDD & it is being recognised by F12 Boot Manager.
5 Win 10 is UEFI.
Much appreciate your help & hope my statements are not too blunt. If I'm getting it wrong please correct me. Thanks

Reaction score
When booting from a USB flash drive, the file format must be FAT32 while creating the boot media for the UEFI bios to see it. Also you would have to be able to get into the UEFI bios to change the boot sequence to boot to the USB drive first.

Microsoft allows you to download installation media online for both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. Just do a Google search and you should be able to find the right web page.

Please note that is is a clean install of Windows 8.1 with no preinstalled software.

I normally hear of Windows 10 having a corrupt upgrade due to having bad preinstalled Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 media. I just upgraded to Windows 10 last night and had no trouble. But looks like some people are still having issues.
Thanks for your help. Firstly can I say that the upgrade was done by Microsoft immediately as part of the initial Win 8.1 automatic configuration & update. This was mid Aug15 and went without a hitch & apart from our steep learning curve (from Vista) has been trouble free (ignoring our likes/dislikes) until now.

Sorry I don't know how to check that my Recovery USB is FAT32 format. The Win 10 OS is 64bit & when in doubt following instructions I accept 'default' values hoping they can be changed later if incorrect.

I have been able to get into UEFI bios & made the USB HDD number 1 in the boot order - but it doesn't seem to access it (it has no activity light so I basically wait for some screen acknowledgement).

Yes I've read elsewhere that an iso file can be downloaded & I will certainly do that before resorting to revert back to Win 8.1 OS. I do however have reservations that this action may create disruptions with my Windows ID/sign in if not done in the correct way for Microsoft.

Reaction score

There are some system BIOS that do not support disabling secure boot and you will need to have created your

Using a method that supports both UEFI as well as GPT (which is the likely configuration of your wife's 8.1 laptop.

IF you have access to a second computer you can use Rufus from here http://rufus.akeo.ie/
View attachment 1514

IF you do not have the appropriate ISO on hand (it has to be like for like both version and bit architecture 32 or 64 bit) for your wife's laptop.

OR

Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, either of which you can use to boot your computer.
You can then use that the same way you would use the Windows 10 Recovery media, you just need to advance past the initial screen where you select a Language and Keyboard layout to the second screen to use the "Repair your PC link, to access the advanced trouble shooting options.

As Jim (bassfissher6522) has already pointed out, make sure her Acer laptop is suitable for Windows 10, which the folks at Acer should be able to help you with.
Just a short message to say I will be following this as soon as possible (my bedtime now).
Thanks very much. I have already checked with Acer & the laptop is on their Win 10 compatible list.
Will respond with my progress/obstacles asap.

Reaction score

View attachment 1514

OR

Having no success so far. Have downloaded Win 10 English 64bit ISO then Rufus then Imgburn & initially used Rufus to create a bootable USB following your instructions. Inserted USB (12:20hrs) displayed Acer logo & seconds later it added a rotating dotted circle. At 12:30hrs changed to blank screen. At 12:45hrs I held down Power button to shut down. This reaction was similar to my earlier attempts with our Recovery USB so have not investigated this further.

Decided to create a bootable DVD using Imgburn which was verified OK. At 14:35hrs pressed <F2> & changed boot order to boot DVD drive first. Did not insert DVD. Displayed Acer logo & seconds later added 'Preparing Automatic Repair' (no rotating dotted circle). At 15:05hrs held down Power button to close down. At 15:10hrs pressed <F2> & checked that DVD boot still number 1. Opened DVD, inserted DVD, closed DVD. Displayed 'Press any key to boot from CD or DVD' pressed Enter key. No activity from DVD light. Opened DVD tray then re-closed. Initial light activity but then nothing. At 15:20hrs held down Power button to close down. At 15:25hrs with DVD still in laptop displayed Acer logo then 'Press any key to boot from CD or DVD' Pressed Enter & got DVD light activity, which ceased after 30seconds, being followed by rotating dotted circle. At 15:30hrs blank screen. At 15:32 held down Power button to shut down.

Although the DVD is clearly being accessed first, it still refuses to boot, which logically suggests that the secure boot is the wall I can't get passed, using either USB or DVD. I'm hoping that you or other members agree with my logic & have come across a similar problem before, where secure boot is not allowed to be disabled.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Seems logical, but .....
Remove the DVD installation media from the Optical Drive
Put you USB Stick back into the computer's USB Port
Restart your computer and tap or hold F12
That should produce a boot menu.
You should be able to select the USB installation media from that menu using the arrow keys and enter.
IF F12 does not produce a boot menu then it is disable in the BIOS and you need to enable it there F2 I believe to enter the BIOS.
IF the USB installation media is not seen on the boot menu then you need to start over, trying another USB port.

Reaction score
Seems logical, but .....
Remove the DVD installation media from the Optical Drive
Put you USB Stick back into the computer's USB Port
Restart your computer and tap or hold F12
That should produce a boot menu.
You should be able to select the USB installation media from that menu using the arrow keys and enter.
IF F12 does not produce a boot menu then it is disable in the BIOS and you need to enable it there F2 I believe to enter the BIOS.
IF the USB installation media is not seen on the boot menu then you need to start over, trying another USB port.
Thanks for your quick response & I regret having limited access to an alternate PC so cannot reply in a timely manner.
The DVD is no longer in its drive but I needed to change this from #1 in boot order, So the sequence was as follows:
Power on. Displays Acer logo, Pressed <F2> which opened Setup Utility at Information Tab (other tabs L to R are Main/Security/Boot/Exit. Main tab shows F12 boot mode enabled. Boot tab allows me to change boot order from 8 options. As expected #1 was set to DVD so changed this to #2 and made USB HDD to #1. (Windows Boot Manager was at #3). Exit saving changes. Screen blanks then shows Acer logo, pressed <F12> which opens Boot Option Menu with only 2 options available. USB HDD: VerbatimSTORE N GO is correctly #1, but #2 is Windows Boot Manager (WDC WD10JPVX-22JC3T0) & not DVD drive? The USB HDD was highlighted so pressed Enter to confirm.

At 11:15hrs showed Acer logo & seconds later the rotating dotted circle appeared. At 11:25hrs screen changes to blank. At 11:40hrs held down Power button to shut down. Repeated same sequence at 14:15hrs using a different USB drive with exactly same result.

Have since had a nosey around the <F2> Setup Utility & noticed that on Main tab there is an option called D2D Recovery which is Enabled. This item Help says it is to do Acer disc-to-disc system recovery via Alt+F10 key during POST. Would this only activate if it was Acer's own recovery disc (Win 8.1 OS) or may it work if the key sequence is pressed after <F2> or F12 changes to boot order with the Win 10 OS Recovery disc? I think this may be something to attempt before trying to find answer to the Secure Boot, but would welcome some assurance from people more experienced than me that I won't create a greater problem.

Reaction score
Thanks for your quick response & I regret having limited access to an alternate PC so cannot reply in a timely manner.
The DVD is no longer in its drive but I needed to change this from #1 in boot order, So the sequence was as follows:
Power on. Displays Acer logo, Pressed <F2> which opened Setup Utility at Information Tab (other tabs L to R are Main/Security/Boot/Exit. Main tab shows F12 boot mode enabled. Boot tab allows me to change boot order from 8 options. As expected #1 was set to DVD so changed this to #2 and made USB HDD to #1. (Windows Boot Manager was at #3). Exit saving changes. Screen blanks then shows Acer logo, pressed <F12> which opens Boot Option Menu with only 2 options available. USB HDD: VerbatimSTORE N GO is correctly #1, but #2 is Windows Boot Manager (WDC WD10JPVX-22JC3T0) & not DVD drive? The USB HDD was highlighted so pressed Enter to confirm.

At 11:15hrs showed Acer logo & seconds later the rotating dotted circle appeared. At 11:25hrs screen changes to blank. At 11:40hrs held down Power button to shut down. Repeated same sequence at 14:15hrs using a different USB drive with exactly same result.

Have since had a nosey around the <F2> Setup Utility & noticed that on Main tab there is an option called D2D Recovery which is Enabled. This item Help says it is to do Acer disc-to-disc system recovery via Alt+F10 key during POST. Would this only activate if it was Acer's own recovery disc (Win 8.1 OS) or may it work if the key sequence is pressed after <F2> or F12 changes to boot order with the Win 10 OS Recovery disc? I think this may be something to attempt before trying to find answer to the Secure Boot, but would welcome some assurance from people more experienced than me that I won't create a greater problem.
When I have finished this post I intend to mark it as solved if no one posts any objections in the next few days.
As I didn't receive any further advice I tried my suggestion anyway and got no success. So I relayed my attempts to Acer - received fantastic support - and ran through all their possible solutions. This culminated with their repair centre concluding that it was a faulty HDD & fitted a new HDD (with Win 8.1 OS installed) which I have successfully upgraded to Win 10 OS.

Reaction score
I probably can't help, so don't change your timeline. But when you attempt to boot to the Recovery Drive, what do you see? It should not be the system going into repair, it should boot to the repair options and let you choose. Do you remember how you created the Recovery Drive, was it an Acer or Windows 10 option.

A startup repair may take several attempts to do what it needs. But it should get to a position where it gives up and offers you options as to repair options. If the screen goes dark, are the repair options stuck or is the display just turning off?

Your computer has startup key combinations to allow certain options. One is for choosing a Boot Device. If you use that one and it works, with the recovery drive plugged in, it should show in the list along with a Windows Boot Manger. Selecting the Recovery Drive should boot to that and the same for the Windows Boot Manger.

Since the power on the system dropped unexpectedly, something may have been corrupted. But if the built-in recovery options are not helping, you will have to boot to either a Recovery or Install media. You don't need to be concerned about Secure Boot if you are just dealing with 8.1 or 10.

Reaction score
Comment regarding the inability to boot from the USB... When I enable 'Fast Boot' in my computer's BIOS, it advises me that this option doesn't allow booting from a USB.

Reaction score
Thanks Saltgrass & wegmand. Have been through all your suggestions & then more with Acer. Would thank all who posted to help with this issue & I will now mark this as solved.

Ask a Question