Win 10 release

Reaction score
so, it looks like I have the final release - installed this morning .. system says Win 10 Pro .. stills has problems ..
after first install - no mouse or keyboard support .. power shutdown .. second start - has mouse/K .. but at least
one program hung on start .. another power shut down ... third time .. most is working BUT I still cant shut down Skype .. hit quit - nothing happens - to quit - shut down/ or task manager .. Also, some programs aren't functioning as before .. it has lost knowledge of associated files (I'm talking about Text Pad) .. Have not had time yet to play with Edge to see if it continues its random shutting down..

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Make sure you check Windows Update.
There are three updates
KB3074661, KB3074663 and KB3074665
Perhaps they will have an impact on some of your issues.
I still cant shut down Skype .. hit quit - nothing happens - to quit
Now you need to use the Skype Icon that is in the "Notification" area near the clock. Right click that to quit skype now. The other Skype Icon on the taskbar doesn't work as it used to.

Reaction score
so, it looks like I have the final release - installed this morning .. system says Win 10 Pro ..

No, Tim. It is NOT the final release.
Yes, we all have "Win 10 Pro" under System, but it is build 10240.

If you can use the Start button, right click at it > click Run > type winver into the box > click OK.
You will see ...... Version 10.0 (Build 10240)

I cannot help you with your problems. Just to inform you that you do not have the "final release ".

Reaction score
Look in All Settings, System Display, Notification, Apps, Power, Apps and Features. Scroll down to Skype, highlight it and you should have an uninstall option. I doubt I will ever use Skype so I just uninstalled it and some other apps that I don't have a use for.

Reaction score
Make sure you check Windows Update.
There are three updates
KB3074661, KB3074663 and KB3074665
Perhaps they will have an impact on some of your issues.

Now you need to use the Skype Icon that is in the "Notification" area near the clock. Right click that to quit skype now. The other Skype Icon on the taskbar doesn't work as it used to.

Reaction score
thanks for that .. getting old never even thought to try that.

one more issue then - with both my Text Pad install AND Outlook - the new version fails to find related files
Text Pad at least opened but Outlook will not even start .. its want to open the pst file located in c:\users .. etc
but now apparently does not have permission .. can that be solved?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Not familiar with "Text Pad" but if it is a third party program you might try uninstalling and reinstalling and or using Notepad temporarily as a replacement. It's a bit earlier for all third party APIs to be !00% compatible.
As far as "Outlook", which version are you calling "the new version". 2013 or 2016?

Reaction score
Not familiar with "Text Pad" but if it is a third party program you might try uninstalling and reinstalling and or using Notepad temporarily as a replacement. It's a bit earlier for all third party APIs to be !00% compatible.
As far as "Outlook", which version are you calling "the new version". 2013 or 2016?

Sorry, when I said new version I meant the new build of windows - Outlook .. cant open it now don't really remember but it could be as old as 2010 - more likely its 2012 .. I thought I tested it to be ok after the first Preview install .,. but after yesterday and this build 10240 I cant open it anymore - its a permission thing about opening the .pst file - wont even start the program ..

Outlook Error.jpg

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I guess the first thing to do would be to check that location for "Outlook.pst" and confirm that it is there.
Next right click it and choose properties and see who has permissions (ntfs) under the Security Tab.
You can use the Edit button add your account if it isn't there or the advanced button to adjust ntfs permissions to facilitate your access.
It may be necessary to break inheritance from the parent container, becareful to maintain the existing settings it'll prompt you to do so.
Is there any reason to suspect that something has changed with respect to your username and or password causing this issue?

Reaction score
I guess the first thing to do would be to check that location for "Outlook.pst" and confirm that it is there.
Next right click it and choose properties and see who has permissions (ntfs) under the Security Tab.
You can use the Edit button add your account if it isn't there or the advanced button to adjust ntfs permissions to facilitate your access.
It may be necessary to break inheritance from the parent container, becareful to maintain the existing settings it'll prompt you to do so.
Is there any reason to suspect that something has changed with respect to your username and or password causing this issue?

well I had 3 .pst files associated with the outlook program and indeed I needed to change permissions on all 3 under the computer name - what changed this I don't know - but it seems to be okay now

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you managed to resolve you issue. Thanks for posting back and letting us know you got it fixed.

Ask a Question