Win 10 suddenly reverted to Win 8.1

Reaction score
Installed win 10 through a free upgrade from Microsoft (so no disc). Been running great for many months. Today computer blinked off with some message (could not read it in time) and now has reverted to Win 8.1. All files still intact but many applications out of date. Have a USB recovery disc. When starting with this it says - choose the operating system - but there is no apparent way to do this. Also have a disc image of C drive but cant get into it at startup. Appreciate any ideas.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Are you or have you ever..... dual booted this machine.
Do you or have you ever..... had a second drive attached that included a second operating system
Not doubting what you are saying, just trying to figure out how something (seemingly impossible) like you are describing might have been facilitated.
I assume that you have rebooted multiple times and it continues to look and feel like Windows 8.1 and....
That you have typed
winver
into the run command dialog box and confirmed the version of Windows installed and.....
That you have right click "This PC" in file explorer and chosen "Properties" and it is currently saying "Windows 8.1"?

Reaction score
This is a stupid question but... are you sure you have not accidentally put it into tablet mode and it just looks like W8.1 now. Actually reverting to W8.1 would take some time...and after 30 days on W10 those files should be gone.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
it just looks like W8.1 now
Hence my asking him to check "winver" and "system" to confirm it had actually somehow reverted.
Not a stupid question at all, sort of what I was thinking as well.

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. Winver gives Windows 8 version 6.3 build 9600. System shows Windows 8.1 Pro 2013.
I have not intentionally dual booted (would not know how to do that). However I had a free upgrade from Win 8 to Win 10. So presumably win 10 installed over Win 8. The upgrade was good and has been running without problems until now. I was also looking to add some space to my C drive and thought moving the User file from C to another drive would do. I created a restore point and then started to transfer using the 'send to' command. I got cold feet and canceled before it finished. I then ran the restore point to make sure everything was OK. It was some time after this that I had the crash and found I was on Win 8.
What I have now found out is that my C drive (a SSD) has been relabeled G and what was my G drive is now labeled C. G drive (a hard disc partition) contained a copy of C drive (for use as a data backup) and was called BUP SSD. I am presuming this backup was done when I was on Win 8.1. So it looks like the drives were switched and that is why I am now on Win 8. If I can get the old C drive (now G) to revert to the C drive I think that I will be back on Win 10 - but I don't know how to do this. Can you offer some more advise? Loading pictures of my drives. They are .png files on Paint.
Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• Drive May 29.png
    Drive May 29.png
    555.5 KB · Views: 623
  • Drive May 29 pic 2.png
    Drive May 29 pic 2.png
    237 KB · Views: 638
Reaction score
I should also add that I have a fairly recent clone of my C drive on Drive J which is an external hard drive- but again I don't know how to get this at start up as it does not show in the boot menu.

Reaction score
Just happened to a buddy of mine. Went from 10 back to 7. can I reinstall win 10 using media creation tool?

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Just happened to a buddy of mine. Went from 10 back to 7. can I reinstall win 10 using media creation tool?

The gods in heaven gave your buddy a second chance, but sure, the answer to your question is yes.

Bif

Reaction score
God's in heaven? Steve Job? Wouldn't he stick a picture of an apple on your computer with some quirky comment like 'An apple a day keeps the doctor away'?
So let it be written.......
So let be done.....
Cue dramatic outro.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
God's in heaven? Steve Job? Wouldn't he stick a picture of an apple on your computer with some quirky comment like 'An apple a day keeps the doctor away'?

Apples? Why I rather have wine so grapes please. Clearly Apples didn't do much for Steve Jobs health.

Ask a Question