Win 10 update causes BLACK SCREEN (Macbook Pro with Boot Camp)

Reaction score
I have a MacBook Pro. Created a new boot camp partition and installed Win 7 Pro. Performed all updates. Upgraded to Win 10. Seemed to work fine.

I saw there was an update so I updated and it asked me to reboot. Now, when I reboot I get a BLACK SCREEN (no cursor, etc). Any solutions you can think of? I heard a little "Windows" start chime when the screen was black but I can't see or do anything.

I tried hitting ENTER and logging in, but couldn't get anywhere with that.

Searching online I see alot of links about black screen with seeing the cursor but that is not the case here. Also I don't think it matters, but I am running boot camp, but this is a separate partition on my MBP drive.

Thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am experiencing this same problem. I have been running Windows 10 on this system for a couple months now.

The problem started 2 days ago and so far I have been unable to get this working again. Repairing the OS didn't work. I tried rolling back the OS to the previous build of Windows 10 which failed. I then did a clean install of Windows 10 and it was working fine until I started reinstalling the bootcamp drivers. After getting connected to the internet the problem returned.

The screen again faded to black and then I was unable to do anything. No mouse cursor, nothing. If I close the lid, pause and then open it again I will see the login screen momentarily and the mouse will work but before I can do anything it fades to black again.

If I hard reset the system and boot it back up I will see the loading screen but then as soon as it would be going to the log in screen, it goes black again. I'm assuming the same driver or update that originally caused the issue got downloaded again as soon as I was back online.

Very frustrating.

I am running a MacBook Pro (Non-Retina, 15" Mid-2012) which is listed as being supported for Windows 10.

Last edited:

Ask a Question