Win 10 upgarde mistake need help

Reaction score
hello guys ;

im in a bit of trouble and i could really use some help here

My GF got a 8.1 laptop , she decided last night to upgrade to windows 10 , so far so good

once done , since we could not find the important document / folders from her original desktop , i did a cut / paste ( i know my mistake ) from the old windows / desktop folder to this win 10 desktop

then... she realised she forgot to backup all her bookmark and firefox password , so i reverted the windows 10 update... and now of course ,impossible to find all those important files

any ideas how i can recover those ?

please help , really important picture / excel,word documents

thank you

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Personally, I think the first thing that I would do, would be to shut down the system and remove the physical drive to prevent any further possible writes to the drive which may further impact your ability to perform any data recovery.
I'd attach it to another system and look into purchasing something like
GetDataBack https://www.runtime.org/
OR
http://www.easeus.com/ppc/data-recovery-bing.html

Assuming that you've already done a search of the drive for the missing data files using something like
http://www.voidtools.com/
AND nothing was found, I think you can safely assume that the data is gone and only a sophisticated third party style recovery utility is going to be able to perhaps recover it.

Reaction score
i will try that , already used Shadow explorer / Locate32 ( no luck so far ) actually running easeus data recovery , and got Stellar Phoenix Data recovery ready

thx for the answer

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Good luck and keep us posted as to how you make out with the problem.

Reaction score
By chance have you checked you Windows.old folders for the missing files.

Reaction score
once you revert back from windows 10 to 8.1 , that folder is deleted in the process , the .old is there only after the win 10 update

Reaction score
once you revert back from windows 10 to 8.1 , that folder is deleted in the process , the .old is there only after the win 10 update

"so i reverted the windows 10 update" Sorry I missed that in the initial read. If the missing files are retrievable, it looks like you are going in the right direction. Good Luck.

Reaction score
weirdly enough i started to find some files , but the excel sheet seems corrupted , cannot open them in excel any more Saying " not good extension " any of you experienced that before?

Reaction score
Try and associate the corrupt XL files. Right clicking on the corrupt files > select "Open with" if you don't see XL in the program list, click on browse and locate XL.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
any of you experienced that before?
Sure.... anytime you attempt to recover files from a drive that has had a lot of writes, there's always a chance that recovered files may be corrupt.
There is also a chance that they may have an .xlsx extension where an earlier version of excel might be expecting just an .xls

Ask a Question