SOLVED Win 10 Will Not Connect Wi-Fi

Reaction score
I have two Win 10 pc's. They are connected to a NetGear N600 DGND3700v2 Dual Band browser/moden via Ethernet cable. Everything works good except I can't detect any Wi-Fi connections available.. I wanted to pair the pc with an Echo speaker. The network page list the ethernet connections but no Wi-Fi. I don't see an adapter to turn on. Am I looking in the right place? How do I turn it on? Thanks

Reaction score
Does the Echo connect to the router WiFi and work?

Are your two PCs desktops or laptops? Not all desktops have WiFi built in.

Looks as if the Echo can be a Bluetooth speaker...do your PCs have Bluetooth? Again many desktops do not but most laptops do.

I wonder if you need to run the Echo/Alexa App to set up and pair the Echo to a PC over Bluetooth.

I am not familiar with these devices at all.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Tim. The Echo pairs with my IPAD ok. The two pc's are desktop.
I have run the Alexa app. I get to the point where it says to connect to the pc wi-fi and thats the problem. The pc does not list a wi-fi in its networking page so I can't go any farther. I don't know if the fact that I have both pc'c connected via Ethernet has anything to do with it. I can connect the IPAD to the internet so the browsers wi-fi must be working. I'm stuck there

Reaction score
ok. First: The Echo works. The Router is doing Wifi fine.

Try this. Check the IP address of your desktop. running ipconfig in a command prompt will tell you, probably 192.168.x.x . Then in the Alexa app try giving that address when it says connect to the PC. That may just work. It ought to work by the rules of TCP/IP networking. But what program(s) have to run on the PC do do anything with that connection, I don't know.

Otherwise.
I think you need to look in device manager to see if your PCs have a WiFi adapter. Under Network adapters you will see some "Wan Miniport devices", an Ethernet adapter, might be a RealTek and maybe you will see a Wifi adapter. If you don't see one then your PCs cannot do WiFi.

So. The easiest way for your PCs to do WiFi would be a cheap USB dongle. I like dual band ones and name brand as well. Netgear, Dlink, TPlink for example. Most will come with drivers and you may not need them...Windows 10 is well stocked with Wifi Drivers

You can do the same for Bluetooth with a Bluetooth dongle. Again Windows 10 has a full Bluetooth suite built it so you would see the Bluetooth under Settings and should be able to pair with the Echo and use it.

We will expect to hear from how how you got on!

Reaction score
I checked the IP address. They were all correct. There is no option to put them in the Echo pairing setup. When you get to the choose the wi-fi part you can't get any farther because can't get the wi-fi name, just the Ethetnet and Ethernet2 are listed in the network. I connected my Bluetooth dongle which I used with other devices and it is seen by the Alexa and pairs nicely. So the only downside is I have to put the dongle on when I want to use it. No big deal. Since Win 10 is fully Bluetooth enabled why do I have to use a dongle. Does the pc not have a transmitter for the blue tooth? Tim you give very good advice. Knowledgeable and clear. Thanks much

Reaction score
In reverse order. Desktops that come with WiFi often do have a Bluetooth radio. But many desktops don't come with either... W10 comes with a complete software suite for Ethernet,WifI and Bluetooth...as an operating system should but it is up to the hardware manufacturer or the owner to install the hardware.

What is expected as 'wifi name' ?

Reaction score
Well, the example had something like AMZXXXXXX. Meaning Amazon and a line number I think. My next project is to pair Echo to my Samsung TV. It's connected to a good but old stereo but I'd like to see how Echo handles it.

Ask a Question