Win 7 to Win 10 Experience

Reaction score
OK - so the first of my Win 7 pro laptops was 'ready' to upgrade last night .. although I have 2 of these - THEY ARE CRITICAL to my work so I was reluctant to go ahead - but what the heck .. I always have their revert back, I created images and rescue disks just before it started and I have a clone from a week ago .. so I felt I did all I could

install took about 1.5 - 2 hrs ..
went well with exception of about 66% through - at configuring setting - turned on system speakers full blast - white noise
which I had no way to shutoff .. lasted about 45 mins . was worried it would fry them - or overheat or something - but they survived .. ALTHOUGH .. I am still having issues with the this recurring during updates etc .. (I went to device manager and deleted an HD audio codec - restarted - it replaced what was there with generic driver - and so far I have 'audio' without the noise)

While I was warned that I would lose my Media Centre - I had no issues (and knew it would happen) with that

BUT - it told me nothing about losing my Virtual XP mode - which is somewhat problematic - BUT the rest of my programs seemed to survive and continue to work so that's a plus (I had this on 2 win 8 boxes that upgraded and all still works - so I didn't expect issues))

I have install WMWare 7 pro - to try to install a XP Pro SP3 - but I am having issues with this - I would like to get that back
- or find alternative - I need to run VB6 ..

While I have not sorted the above out yet - the next of my win 7 pros is now 'ready' - so - yes I am going ahead with that also.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Assuming that you are now on Windows 10 Pro and also assuming that your hardware supports it.
You can run Hyper-V, which is free and native to Windows and I've found to be an excellent alternative to other virtual machine software.
I was a long time user of the commercial version of VMware upto and including VMware-workstation-full-8.0.4-744019 and decided that for my purposes, maintaining the almost annual cost of upgrading to the latest version was more than I wanted to pay.
So you might want to look into it if your machine has the horsepower and supporting architecture, with some extra RAM to spare.
Client Hyper-V requires a 64-bit system with second level address translation (SLAT) capabilities

Reaction score
both win 7s pros are up and running and seem well as win 10.
I figured out VMWare and XP Pro - had to get the order of installs just right . and it works - all I really need

so far so good - please no updates that screw things up - like with the Preview build!!!!

Ask a Question