WIN+L to Lock screen shows a white screen?

Reaction score
We share a computer, and when someone else wants to login, they hit WIN+L to get to the logon screen, and login to their account. Sometimes when they press WIN+L, instead of showing the Windows 10 login screen, they are met with a white screen, with no way to get around it. At that point, a restart is needed in order to get around it. No malware is detected on the computer, and I have create switch user shortcuts so they don't have to use WIN+L anymore. Any idea what would cause a white screen like this? I know there was the Reveton malware (White Screen Virus) but doubt it is related to that as nothing was detected on my system, and everyone besides me is running as a standard user for anything to be installed. Thoughts?

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue since a few days ago. I have not restarted my laptop since, only put it to sleep, so can't say if restarting will help resolve it in my case. However, a temporary fix is to press Ctrl+Alt+Del when on the white screen, and that would take you to the login screen like usual. If anyone knows why this is happening, I would like to know as well. I'm using 64-bit Windows 10 Education.

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem. I'm running Windows 10 Home 10.0.10586 Build 10586. It's driving me nuts. ESET NOD 32 found no malware/virus. I can hit ctrl-alt-del and that will get me back to the login screen, so no harm no foul, but I'd rather things just work how they are supposed to. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I had the same problem as you described. After a windows update this week the lock screen went blank, making it troublesome to login. Thank you win10user1 for your workaround. I also could use my (pre-configured) fingerprint reader as a workaround.
However: After reading this thread one thought stroke me: What if the problem is the login-in image? I have had a custom lock-screen image. So I tried to change it to a standard and it made the trick! Changing back to my custom image was not either a problem.

To be clear: Control Panel -> Adapt -> Lock screen -> Click one of the standard Windows images. No need to save anything.
Press Win+L to test.

Hope that is the solution for you!

Ask a Question