Win phone not assigned drive letter

Reaction score
I have a Windows phone (Lumia 635, on Win 8.1.) I've connected it with a USB lead to my Windows 10 desktop. File Explorer shows its name, and I can access (and copy the contents of) both the phone and its micro-SD card. But Windows doesn't assign it a drive letter, so many other programs can't access it (e.g. my photo browser Fastone, or SyncToy to make backups).

Nor does it show up in.devices & printers, or elsewhere in Control Panel where you can manually assign Drive Letters.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I'm not a Windows Phone Owner, but with my Samsung I can install a Server app which once I connect to my network I can then go via Disk Management to assign a drive letter.

From what I understand with Windows Phones if you connect the phone to your computer it shows up. At that point you restart your phone and depending on the model of phone as you restart it hold down the volume button or your camera button. This will force the phone to become a Mass Storage device which will be assigned the next available Drive letter, or alternatively you could then set a Drive letter via Disk Management \ Mass Storage.

Here is an article discussing that as an option.

https://sysdev.microsoft.com/en-us/...Mass_storage_mode_and_boot_configuration_data

Note: If you have not set up a Windows account this site may automatically go to the login page. If that happens simply open your search engine, enter that url into search, then when its displaying in results click the cached link instead. Once that opens, click the article link in left menu to display the full article.

Reaction score
Many thanks for the reply - and apologies for not responding earlier (holiday). I'm currently trying to find out how to reboot my Lumia 635, and will then try what you suggest. I'll tell you what happens!

Ask a Question