Windows 10 BSOD critical process died after chrome reinstall .pup virus

Reaction score
Please Help!

NOTE: I cannot download or run a log collector, the computer will crashes at startup, even in safe mode!

The other day I accidentally clicked a bad link and picked up a nasty .pup chrome extension virus, the kind that redirects your search engine to Yahoo!, etc.. I have dealt with these before causing blue screen, but everything went back to normal after running malwarebytes cleaner, quarantining and deleting the .pup virus

This time, I tried to run malwarebytes and it had no problem finding the .pup, but it could not quarantine or delete them. It would prompt me to restart the pc, only to have the yahoo! redirect still in chrome. Tried this a few times with no result.

I have dealt with this virus before, the symptoms it causes emulate hardware issues causing blue screen crashes. After malwarebytes failed to remove the virus, I resorted to a system restore. After the system restore Chrome would not open no matter what i tried, so I uninstalled and reinstalled it.. and that crashed my whole PC!

The PC is now bluescreening right at startup, "CRITICAL PROCESS DIED". It goes into the troubleshoot/recovery mode, with options such as startup options, etc. The computer will not boot, even in safe mode!

I have dropped the PC off to a tech who seems to think its hardware related... I strongly do not believe this is the case, as I have dealt with this before. The symptoms of the virus emulate the symptoms of hardware failure. It is too much of a coincidence that my SSD would fail at the exact moment I got a virus!

I DO NOT want to do a clean install of WIN10 and lose all my programs!! I have dozens of programs and plugins that all require a series of product keys I may no longer have access to!

order of events:
-noticed chrome switching to yahoo
-tried older version malwarebytes cleaner
-restart, still yahoo
-tried a few more times, no result
-tried newer version of malwarebytes
-restart, still yahoo
-system restore, chrome wont open
-uninstall/reinstall chrome
-crash, BSOD

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I DO NOT want to do a clean install of WIN10 and lose all my programs!!
I feel your pain....but you may have no choice. That said, will the PC load the BIOS flash screen? If so, can you get into the BIOS? If that works....there may be a chance to restore it. If you can get to another PC and download some portable virus scanners on a USB. Then run said software from USB. I would suggest using Norton Power Eraser as one to get.

https://www.google.com/search?q=por.....69i57j0l5.7518j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Also, if you can get into your BIOS, run a linux distro live (run from a USB/DVD) and then run scans of the HDD/SSD.

Reaction score
I feel your pain....but you may have no choice. That said, will the PC load the BIOS flash screen? If so, can you get into the BIOS? If that works....there may be a chance to restore it. If you can get to another PC and download some portable virus scanners on a USB. Then run said software from USB. I would suggest using Norton Power Eraser as one to get.

https://www.google.com/search?q=por.....69i57j0l5.7518j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I left my PC with a tech who is having a hard time removing the virus (multiple)
I am forwarding him all of this info you just gave me, so if there is anything else useful I should know definitely let me know, thanks!

Regedit32

Reaction score
You might want to ask the Tech whether they have software to scan your Registry for the Digital licences ( product keys ) for your third party applications you mentioned.

Given your description of the current situation, I can't see the Tech being able to save the drive in its current state.

Assuming the drives have not been damaged, then full formatting + rootkit scans and reinstalling Windows seems the most likely possibility. So before it gets to that point, that Tech may be able to recover some of those product keys you mentioned you cannot remember.

Ask a Question