SOLVED Win10 icons/taskbar wont work

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
Im here beacuse I feel hopeless with my laptop issue. I was using it without any problem, but ten I restarted it. I could normally login, but when desktop shows up I cant click any icons, run task manager and when pointing mouse on taskbar, it changes to wait circle. After some time window saying that program stopped working shows up but it does not change anything.
Thank you for help in advance.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Can you use the Ctrl + Alt + Delete keyboard combo to launch Task Manager?
IF so, then try booting your computer into Safe Mode with networking.
From task manager, use the file menu and select "Run new task" and type
msconfig
hit enter or click OK
In the resultant dialog box select the boot tab and then check the box that says
Safe boot
Tick the radio button that says
Network
Click OK
If you are not prompt to reboot, reboot your machine.
You can use Ctrl + Alt + Delete to do that as well. It should produce a power icon on the bottom right which you can use to select restart.

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Can you use the Ctrl + Alt + Delete keyboard combo to launch Task Manager?
IF so, then try booting your computer into Safe Mode with networking.
From task manager, use the file menu and select "Run new task" and type
msconfig
hit enter or click OK
In the resultant dialog box select the boot tab and then check the box that says
Safe boot
Tick the radio button that says
Network
Click OK
If you are not prompt to reboot, reboot your machine.
You can use Ctrl + Alt + Delete to do that as well. It should produce a power icon on the bottom right which you can use to select restart.

Unfortunately I cant run anything at all. Also I used shift+restart so i can try to get to safe mode, restore system or even to reset system but everytime I choose one of this options screen darkens and then goes black and after that nothing happens.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
desktop shows up I cant click any icons
OK....
When the "desktop shows up".....
Can you hold the Windows Logo Key on the bottom left of your keyboard and strike the E key?
Does that launch File Explorer?

Reaction score
OK....
When the "desktop shows up".....
Can you hold the Windows Logo Key on the bottom left of your keyboard and strike the E key?
Does that launch File Explorer?

Not really. It was not opening anything at all. I had to format my drive. Now it works but still I have no idea what happened. Thank you for help.

Ask a Question