win10 iso required 25 alpha-numeric code I entered the coa win7 on pc back

Reaction score
Hi,
I downloaded win10 iso and went to install it on a win7-64bit machine. Same machine that burned the cd. I was prompted to enter the 25 alpha-numeric code. I entered the COA stickers code on this pc but it was not accepted. I did not continue further.
I'm back to win7 and on this forum. My understanding is that if I try to load this version of windows on a pc that has genuine stamp that it would proceed w/o the need to enter the COA sticker code and have that rejected I quit the install. I don't want to loose my licence.
Should I do somthing other than what I've done?
This PC dual boots win7 and ubuntu.
I restarted pc redirecting boot to the iso dvd.
Thanks,
keith

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Should I do somthing other than what I've done?
The free version of Windows 10 is intended as an upgrade and needs to be run from within a legitimate, qualified version of Windows (7 SP1 or 8.1).
Not that I'm recommending it. Just saying.
I also don't know how your dual boot will be impacted except to say that you'll almost certainly need to repair grub afterwards.
I wish you luck.
Many have proclaimed their upgrade experience a success, while many others report disastrous results.
I've done 3 so far and everything went very well. Holding off on the wife's computer, if that one goes bad, I'll likely starve.

Reaction score
Keith Long,
Put away your bootable DVD.

Do you still have the ISO ?
If yes, right click at it > click Mount > click Setup.exe.
Installation will begin.
It will NOT ask you for product key.
This method will allow you to keep your files, settings and apps. Or, you can choose to " keep nothing ". Your choice.

I use the above method to install my Win 10 Pro over my Win 8.1.1 Pro.

By the way, in regard to your original post.......... your Win 7 product key is not what the installer was asking. It was asking for the Windows 10 product key which nobody has.

Last edited:

Ask a Question