window 10 restore button

Reaction score
The restore button at the right top corner doesn't work, any help I can't minimize the window to the required size likewise other window applications. You can't see two word documents at time you are able to see one of them in full display, or otherwise you have to minimize it to the taskbar to see the other. is there solution for this? please help I couldn't compare two documents (pdf version and word version at the same time)
Best
Yohannes

Reaction score
I couldn't compare two documents (pdf version and word version at the same time)
right click at an open spot of the taskbar > click show windows side by side

Note : if you have more than 2 programs opened on screen, keep the 2 you want and minimize the rest to taskbar. The method shown will work if you have only 2 on screen.

Last edited:
Reaction score
right click at an open spot of the taskbar > click show windows side by side

Note : if you have more than 2 programs opened on screen, keep the 2 you want and minimize the rest to taskbar. The method shown will work if you have only 2 on screen.

Reaction score
Thanks for reply, but there is no such commands in the right click, I just closed all opened files and left two documents opened. When I right click as per your advice I found no such command.
Best

Reaction score
Thanks for reply, but there is no such commands in the right click, I just closed all opened files and left two documents opened. When I right click as per your advice I found no such command.
Best

repeat............ right click at an open spot of the taskbar .......

show windows side by side.jpg

Reaction score
repeat............ right click at an open spot of the taskbar .......

View attachment 1151

Greetings,

I'm new to the forum and I have many questions about 10 myself. I'm with Yohannes - I don't get the same menu that davidhk129 displays. I just get 3 prompts.
Show App Icons
Show all notification icons
Show touch keyboard button

There is just an option to put a checkmark beside any/all of them. David129, do you have any utilities that you've added to Win 10?

ckbeme

Reaction score
This Show windows side by side option as been there since Windows 7 ( probably since Vista, I don't remember that far back).
It's a built-in option. No add-in needed.

Reaction score
For windows that won't resize try Alt+spacebar. This will open a menu at top left. Choose move or restore. This takes some playing with to be useful.

Reaction score
David129,

Something needs clarified here. You are using the term"taskbar ". The taskbar is at the bottom of the screen. The menu that you are showing in this thread appears when you click at the top of the screen. And once I realized that, I clicked at the top and it STILL doesn't show all the options that you are displaying.
I'm going to upload a shot of my 'Rt click menu' and the pic I'm uploading is when Chrome was all I had open. The Rt click menu varies (for me anyway) depending on what program I have open. This is really strange and it's going to bug the xxxx out of me until I figure out what you're doing differently. What program(s) did you have open when you did the above screen shot
My rt click window with Chrome open.jpg

Yohannes - In Word there is an option to view two documents side by side. I recently upgraded to Office 2013 and guess what - Word still shows that option but it doesn't work!! It lets you toggle between two documents but i couldn't get it to show the two docs side by side. I didn't play with it much, but if it does work, it's certainly not as easy as it used to be.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The taskbar is.... the taskbar, and.....
It can be at the top of the screen, the bottom of the screen or at either side of the screen.... it is still the taskbar and....
The right click menu that davidhk129 has in his image is identical to the right click menu I get when I right click the "taskbar".

Reaction score
Trouble,
How would you explain the difference in the menu Johannes and I are seeing compared to you and David129?

Reaction score
No.
I do say right click at an open spot of the taskbar. Not "top of the screen."

How come this one step turns into a roadblock ?

No I am not using a touchscreen .

right click at taskbar.jpg

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I can't explain it.
I can only guess that perhaps you have some third party software installed that may be impacting the behavior of the right click context menu handler.
Something like perhaps.....
Classic Shell or another start menu overlay or something else.
I can only say that this is mine.

RightClickTaskbar.png

And maybe suggest that you perform a clean boot
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
And see if that might expose the offending process or software.
Or else maybe creating a new user as a member of the local administrator's group (not a standard user) and see if the login reflects the same behavior.

Ask a Question