Windows 10 1 hardware change

Reaction score
I was talking to Microsoft support and they were telling me that my digital windows key was tied to my hardware and i only had 1 hardware change so if i ever wanted to add an ssd and move the os onto it, thats was it. If i wanted to change my motherboard or another piece of the computer, that was it. Is there any way around this because at this point that means that you cannot just move a drive to a new pc if it has an os on it.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
If it's an OEM licence, you can't change motherboards or move it to another PC. There really isn't a way around it short of buying a retail key. You should be able to get away with most other hardware changes. Not sure about upgrading the CPU. That may not work.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
if i ever wanted to add an ssd and move the os onto it
Hi,

you can replace your main drive with an SSD, the key is tied to the motherboard and not the Hard Disk Drive! (HDD). If you copy the OS to an SSD (clone or new install), the licence will still be valid!. If you do a fresh install on a new SSD, click on "I don't have a product key" when installing!. :)

1599939959350.png

Ask a Question