Windows 10 - 10240 build Apps not opening

Reaction score
Hi,

I have received the free update from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

My issues originally started when the start menu with the apps on disappeared I researched the internet and managed to fix this by using Powershell and copying and pasting in some instrucitons

My computer has recently done an update and I am on build 10240 and now my apps do not work at all. I
I wish I could go back to WIndows 7 but am over the month where it allows you to which is very annoying as Windows 10 seems very unstable.

Could anyone advise how I am to get my apps working again I have researched the internet and tried some fixes (including Powershell again) but to no avail The apps do not work - not in the start menu or in the all apps section.
I really don;t want to re-set my computer back up as I have lots of files on it and don't have the time to back them up.

Thanks
Tony

Reaction score
How about Windows Update?
Start Button -> Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Update -> Check for updates button
You might have some luck if you update to the latest version 1511 build 10586.63
Please make sure you backup all your critical data before proceeding https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/

I did that and 10240 is my latest build not the one according to winver.
My update states that I am currently at the latest update

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
What edition of Windows 10 do you have installed.....
Home, Pro, Enterprise, Education??

Reaction score
It is the home editon that was a free upgrade from windows 7.
If the latest build update is 1511 I am not getting it for some reason - I have had various other updates throughout the day but winver still states im on 10240 - do you think if I get it updated this will resolve the issues I am having with the aps not opening - they opened 2 days ago when I was on my computer ok but stopped today for some reason

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
do you think if I get it updated this will resolve the issues
It might.
It could make it better, or....
It could make it worse. If being on these forums has taught me anything.... it's that there is no way of knowing how any particular computer might respond to any windows update.
My recommendation would be to keep trying to manually obtain the update through Windows Update, rebooting occasionally and rechecking when you have time.
Failing that, if you want....
The 1511 update can be obtained from here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
In the form of an ISO which, once you have it saved on your computer ... you can simply double click it to mount it and then run setup.exe from the virtual drive that is created from having mounted the ISO to perform the in-place upgrade.

Ask a Question