Windows 10 14393.693 help

Reaction score
I was wondering if someone could please help out or if anyone else has experienced the same issue or similiar.
I have recently upgraded my Windows 10 64bit build to 14393.693 from 10586.753 and have noticed that my explorer keeps on crashing alot when browsing to folder locations that i have stored but I have noticed it only appears to be when browsing network locations and with long file paths its not all the time but intermittantly.
All my hardware drivers have been updated and a couple of suggestions from the internet have been carried out as per below but still nothing.
  • Always show icons, not thumbnails in folder options
  • Remove pinned items from quick access and clear history
  • Unticked Show recently used files in quick access
  • Unticked show frequently used folders in quick access
  • netsh winsock reset
I know a similiar windows 10 build had the same issue and a windows update was released to fix this.
If someone could please get back to me I would be very grateful and thank you for your time in reading.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum Helpdesk,

There is a new update Today which will further upgrade your build to 14393.953 and while it does not offer any new goodies per se, it does address a number of identified issues that have been bugging folks in recent months.

It'd be worth updating to that first, then see whether your issues continue or are resolved.

Let us know how it goes and whether you then need more help.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum Helpdesk,

There is a new update Today which will further upgrade your build to 14393.953 and while it does not offer any new goodies per se, it does address a number of identified issues that have been bugging folks in recent months.

It'd be worth updating to that first, then see whether your issues continue or are resolved.

Let us know how it goes and whether you then need more help.

Regards,

Regedit32
Thank you for the quick response in getting back to me I will give this a try.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Helpdesk,

Sorry the update did not help resolve things more fore you.

Something you might try is to open File Explorer then:
  • Select the View tab and on top right of ribbon click Options
  • In the folder options window select the View tab
  • Scroll down and check the box next to Launch folder windows in a separate process then click OK

Sample image

folderoptions.png

Something else you could check is your current Display settings:
  • Press Windows key and S key together then in Search box type Display Settings then press Enter key
  • Check the settings are either 100 or 200% and not something else.

Sample image

display.png

Finally, one last thing worth doing is clearing your File Explorer History:
  • Press Windows key and S key together then type File Explorer Options in the Search box and press Enter key
  • In the window that opens click the Clear button

Sample image

exploreroptions.png

See whether any of that improves your situation and report back.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
This is IE, I read from your first post?
Have you, by chance, installed separately, Java and/or Flash? If so, try uninstalling both and see if the situation improves.

Reaction score
Yeah. Well I pondered a while. I worked on his comment regarding Network locations...but? I was also not quite sure what was meant by "Stored" locations

Reaction score
Yeah. Well I pondered a while. I worked on his comment regarding Network locations...but? I was also not quite sure what was meant by "Stored" locations

Stored locations being where the file is stored at a full path eg test\test\test\test\fikjgkjfkgjfkjlg.ext file
Sorry should of made myself clearer

Reaction score
Hi Helpdesk,

Sorry the update did not help resolve things more fore you.

Something you might try is to open File Explorer then:
  • Select the View tab and on top right of ribbon click Options
  • In the folder options window select the View tab
  • Scroll down and check the box next to Launch folder windows in a separate process then click OK

Sample image

View attachment 4992

Something else you could check is your current Display settings:
  • Press Windows key and S key together then in Search box type Display Settings then press Enter key
  • Check the settings are either 100 or 200% and not something else.

Sample image

View attachment 4993

Finally, one last thing worth doing is clearing your File Explorer History:
  • Press Windows key and S key together then type File Explorer Options in the Search box and press Enter key
  • In the window that opens click the Clear button

Sample image

View attachment 4994

See whether any of that improves your situation and report back.

Regards,

Regedit32

Ill give this a go and thank you

Reaction score
test\test\test\test\fikjgkjfkgjfkjlg.ext file

change the last "test" to tst, ( and others, if not inconvenient)This may help you to get to the file, then rename the file to something a little shorter, and see if it still crashes.
I appreciate your sentence is merely an example, so it may not help, with numerous folders, to try this. But it will ascertain if the file length is the only problem.

Reaction score
[QUOTE="davehc, post: 60145, member: 2"]test\test\test\test\fikjgkjfkgjfkjlg.ext file

change the last "test" to tst, ( and others, if not inconvenient)This may help you to get to the file, then rename the file to something a little shorter, and see if it still crashes.
I appreciate your sentence is merely an example, so it may not help, with numerous folders, to try this. But it will ascertain if the file length is the only problem.[/QUOTE]

The above was just an example nothing else but thank you for your response.
No need for me to rename and shorten the length down as the issue has only occurred when upgrading windows 10 versions as mentioned in my original post.

Reaction score
Query. Are the folder paths that long though?
By the way, it might be worth updating you Windows 10. Currently it is on 14393.953
Could be as simple as that

Reaction score
Query. Are the folder paths that long though?
By the way, it might be worth updating you Windows 10. Currently it is on 14393.953
Could be as simple as that
The folder paths arent that long tbh, e.g f:\1. Projects\Ax Projects 002000-002999\002019 - Benfleet Railway Station\Drawings they have always been this long so nothing has changed regards to that. The issues we are having have only occured since we recently upgraded from windows 10 build 10586.753, we are running build 14393.953

Ask a Question