Windows 10 Admin Issue

Reaction score
Hello,

I really hope someone can help as i am close to ripping my hair out!

I bought a new laptop last year, and it came with Windows 10 loaded.

I have been using it mainly for gaming, and i have been playing a game called Ark, now i play this through Steam client, and i play modded servers, as part of the thing with modded servers is that the mods need to be updated from time to time, so when they get updated something goes wrong within my windows and i then cannot reconnect to the servers. i get the message "Failed to install mod map", now the way to deal with this is to unsubscribe from the mods and then delete the mod folder so they can re-install, this is where the problem begins, i try to delete the folder within steam and i get that i am not the admin and it requires permission, i click continue and it cannot delete the folder!!

I have now figured out this is to do with anything within the C drive i cannot delete anything, i can only delete items in the downloads folder.

I have tried re-installing windows multiple times, i have tried doing it with out linking my Hotmail account to it, so i only have a local profile, i have tried going into the security settings and giving myself permission on the folder!

It says in my profile that i am an admin, but it just wont work! and i cant deal with this anymore, the place where i bought my laptop are no help as they are saying its a software issue and not hardware.

Please please please can someone give me some guidance.

TIA

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Matthew,

Welcome to the Forum.

I'm not a gamer per se, so I'll need you to answer a quick question for me.

If I understand your post the Mods for your game are saved to the root directory C:\

Is that correct, or are they inside a folder. for example: C:\Mods\mod files here

If they're in their own folder I can walk you through the process of taking ownership of that folder which will allow you to delete or change things there.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Regedit32,

Apologies for the late reply, only just logged on! well the actually directory is this;

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam2\steamapps\common\ARK\ShooterGame\Content

I mean it would be nice if i could take ownership of all my windows stuff though to be honest :(

Thanks for replying mate.

Cheers
Matt

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Matt,

Trust me you don't want to take ownership of the entire system as if you ever got a virus your entire system then would be vulnerable to attack.

In your case you probably need to take ownership of the Steam2 directory and its sub-directories.

To do that do the following:
  • Open File Explorer and navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)
  • Locate the Steam2 folder and right click on it and select Properties
  • A new window will appear titled Steam2 Properties. Select the
    Security tab
    then click the Advanced button towards bottom of window.
  • At top of new window that opens check what Owner name appears. If it's not yours click Change
  • In the window that opens is a text field. In this field type your username (or if you are an administrator, type administrators) then click the Check names button
  • Click OK
  • This returns you to the window with the Owner name which now beneath the Owner name has a box you need to Check to take ownership of the subfolders.
  • After checking that box, click Apply then click OK
  • That will return you to the Steam2 Properties window. In the top pane you need to left click the Username you chose to own the folder, then click the Edit button.
  • Now if needed check the Allow Full control box then click Apply and OK

Now you own the folder and its subfolders. Hopefully that will resolve your issue.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
hello,

i was reading over the possible fix for this solution as im having the same difficulty with my skyrim folder in my steam folder. ive tried doing this fix but it hasnt resolved the issue as it still says i require permission from a different user when there isnt any other user. i tried to do sign in with local account, and that didnt have any effect at all on it. the local user is the one that it say i need special permission from to do delete the folder and sub folders. i've tried every solution i know of, as the system shows that the current profile has full control and the profile im on has ownership of the folders as well, full ownership, but its saying i still need permission.

sincerely,

delta

Reaction score
Hi Regedit32,

Sorry i didnt reply sooner!

I am still having the same issue, but it has become less of a problem as i have been playing unmodded servers.

I still require a resolution to sort this, and it seems that a few people are having the same or a similar issue.

Bring back windows 7 thats what i say!

Thanks
Matt

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi again,

It seems that this is more likely an issue with Steam and its mods than Windows per se.

Here is a link to a gamer who believes they resolved this issue by deleting the affected mods while booted in Safe Mode to avoid the permissions issues.

Read down the blog as it seems there are a few other things you need to do to ensure success.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/208684375425072888/

Ask a Question