Windows 10 AMD GPU update much slower than using AMD's site

Reaction score
Hi all

More of a rant I guess as I can't do anything to stop automatic updates - why not just make security updates compulsory?

Anyhoo Win10 has started downloading new drivers for my AMD card and it's on 10% downloaded after 15 minutes! I could've download and installed the drivers from the AMD website by now - why is it so bloody slow? I can't even cancel the update and go to the AMD site. The only way around this is to open task manager and somehow end the update task - anyone know what its called?

Thanks

Bill

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
More of a rant I guess
Rants are welcome here for the most part.
AND.... yours is not the first nor likely the last regarding the automatic updates (especially driver updates) and Windows 10.
I myself, just went through something very similar with respect to my nVidia card. I already had the latest driver from nVidia installed and Windows 10 wanted to install an older version.
Very annoying

Reaction score
My solution to this, and it only works with the pro version, is to have windows notify my of updates, but not install. I won't explain how to do that, since it's not an "official method". You'd have to google it, and do it at your own risk.

When I'm notified of an unwanted update (any of my drivers), I run wushowhide.diagcab (which you can download from microsoft), and hide that update. Then I go and download it it from the vendor.

And yes, it wanted to update my AMD drivers last night even though AMD Gaming Evolved reports my drivers are up to date. This is the lone reason I have to do the above mentioned method. As a gamer, I don't always want the latest driver, unless a new game requires it. New drivers can sometimes break older games.

Bif

Reaction score
My update for the AMD radeon 6310 HD went very fast...I was actually surprised to see if it in fact installed a different driver and it had.

Reaction score
My question is do you need AMD quick stream and where can I update my drives for Windows 10?

Bif

Reaction score
No you do not need quick stream for the video driver to function..Windows Update will install the correct driver for you..it may not be the latest and greatest AMD driver but it will install the right driver for your make and model of PC.

Ask a Question