Windows 10 and dial-up modem

Reaction score
I post some on a boating/fishing forum; and a Moderator there was having trouble with their dial-up modems on older Windows 7 laptops. The internal dial-up modems on both laptops don't work anymore; so using a USB dial-up modem now. Person asked about newer computers and dial-up. Remote area in USA has bad cell phone coverage; so only choice is satellite internet or dial-up.

Would Windows 10 work with a USB dial-up modem? Would all the large Windows 10 updates be too much for dial-up? Thanks

Reaction score
Dial-up?? what is it connecting to, a copper land line??
As of Windows 10 working with dial-up, my answer is that I really do not know. I know however, that dial-up for downloading the Windows 10 updates is ill-advised at best unless you have hours or days to spare (Dial-up speed is max 56kbps as far as I know) that means that a 500MB updates will take 2.5-3 hours to download, give or take and that is under ideal conditions.

BTW: if it is a land line, is it not possible to get DSL??

Reaction score
There's a lot of people in rural areas that just aren't close enough to a switching station to receive dsl. I know someone who is just a little too far away for dsl, although he does have it. He gets 2 Mbps down, and .3 Mbps up. Any farther away he would still be on dialup. As far as Windows 10, in theory it should work. But large updates would probably take days. Especially the twice yearly version updates.

Reaction score
Can you take the laptop to a school or public library? They often have a high speed connection and wifi. Even a Starbucks might work.

Ask a Question