Windows 10 and Edge not responding

Reaction score
Hi all I have an Acer desktop pc 64 bit new just before introduction of windows 10. Came with windows 8 and free upgrade.
It has Microsoft Edge that was ok at first but now takes ages to load and keeps freezing and difficulty searching any pages and loading pictures, say's flash player not responding. Anyone have any ideas, It's driving me nuts. Should I use Chrome or other best suited.

Reaction score
Not sure may be last year some time, got all updates since had pc, but now keeps freezing and crashing, I may be a bit dumb with pc tried chrome but kept getting conflicts.

Reaction score
Hi Eddie,

you could download a fresh copy and use that to wipe your drive (back-up any files you may want and wipe the drive!).

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

During install, click on "I don't have a product key" when asked and continue!.

https://www.howtogeek.com/197559/how-to-install-windows-10-on-your-pc/

You could also recover your Win8 install and re-install W10 on top of that using the "Recovery partition tool" assuming you have one!. :)

See also:

https://www.windows10forums.com/thr...ws-10-to-the-latest-version.13015/#post-64095

Reaction score
I spent many hours trying to track down the problem trying all the known resetting solutions. In the end it came down to the Intel "Trusteer" protection application which some banks require for Internet Banking. I uninstalled it and all was then OK.

Afterwards, I reinstall it with a new download and still OK. I hope this helps.

Reaction score
Spoke to MS helpline, they took remote control and after 40 minutes of doing what I had already tried they then said it was a known problem and they were working on it. Tried removing Trusteer, no difference. I have five machines, all different (1 AMD, 4 Intel but using different cpus's and all running Win 10 Pro) Only the laptop will run Edge. Have given up on Edge and now switch between Chrome, Firefox and Opera depending how I feel and on the odd occasion Tor.

Have also noticed that 10 now occasionally freezes and I have to either sign out and sign back in using Ctrl/Alt/Del which is beginning to irritate me or to actually reboot entirely. I maintain a religious update procedure so updates are not a thing. I dual boot into Win 7 at least once a day and have never had a problem since it was first released.

I think MS is trying to do too much, all at once and not giving enough time for bugs to pop up and get fixed. One bug, not fixed will inevitably lead to more bugs, and that is what I am experiencing.

Reminds me of the early days where some websites (Toyota springs to mind) were very fancy but took no account of download speeds resulting in long waits, boredom and switching to somewhere else. (Nissan ended up with my business.) MS needs to fix things otherwise...

Linux is beckoning!

Reaction score
Hi all I have an Acer desktop pc 64 bit new just before introduction of windows 10. Came with windows 8 and free upgrade.
It has Microsoft Edge that was ok at first but now takes ages to load and keeps freezing and difficulty searching any pages and loading pictures, say's flash player not responding. Anyone have any ideas, It's driving me nuts. Should I use Chrome or other best suited.
Hi Eddie,
I was having the same problem where Edge would freeze up. I decide to go backwards and reinstall Internet Explorer which turned out to be surprisingly easy. (Just Google windows 10 reinstall Internet explorer) - instructions are clear. I used Explorer for abut 3 days and then tentatively tried Edge to see if anything had changed. And it had. Edge works really well again and is faster than Explorer so i now use it all the time. Weird.
Good luck - Sigma Tee

Reaction score
Spoke to MS helpline, they took remote control and after 40 minutes of doing what I had already tried they then said it was a known problem and they were working on it. Tried removing Trusteer, no difference. I have five machines, all different (1 AMD, 4 Intel but using different cpus's and all running Win 10 Pro) Only the laptop will run Edge. Have given up on Edge and now switch between Chrome, Firefox and Opera depending how I feel and on the odd occasion Tor.

Have also noticed that 10 now occasionally freezes and I have to either sign out and sign back in using Ctrl/Alt/Del which is beginning to irritate me or to actually reboot entirely. I maintain a religious update procedure so updates are not a thing. I dual boot into Win 7 at least once a day and have never had a problem since it was first released.

I think MS is trying to do too much, all at once and not giving enough time for bugs to pop up and get fixed. One bug, not fixed will inevitably lead to more bugs, and that is what I am experiencing.

Reminds me of the early days where some websites (Toyota springs to mind) were very fancy but took no account of download speeds resulting in long waits, boredom and switching to somewhere else. (Nissan ended up with my business.) MS needs to fix things otherwise...

Linux is beckoning!
An interesting post Mike82. You certainly seem to be plagued with problems on Windows 10 and on my 4 Windows 10 computers and 6 others I look after, I have had only 2 serious problems including the MS Edge Browser one. I gave feedback to MS on just what you said about 'Bugs', particularly as this was their new system integrated browser which they are promoting like mad.

I reported my problem as Feedback to Intel Trusteer and had this reply:-

"Thank you for keeping us updated on this matter. Please be advised that this was a known issue and indeed, using Rapport's latest version resolves this. Please let us know if the issue reoccurs in the future, as we would be very interested in investigating it further."

In the survey of their services they asked me to do, I concluded with "Somewhat Less Than Satisfied" because of their non existent updating service.

Reaction score
Thank you for this. I just tried removing Trusteer and now Edge works, although I have lost all my Favorites.

Reaction score
That's good to hear scott_h. It has reminded me to BU my Favourites again. Settings (...) , Settings. Import from Another Browser, Export To File.

Reaction score
I spent many hours trying to track down the problem trying all the known resetting solutions. In the end it came down to the Intel "Trusteer" protection application which some banks require for Internet Banking. I uninstalled it and all was then OK.

Afterwards, I reinstall it with a new download and still OK. I hope this helps.

I found an answer related to the Trustee software settings: there is an option to start the program before the browser starts. If you de-select this option the browser works properly

Reaction score
Strange oldgirl - I have just looked at the Dasboard (Version: Emerald Build 1804.112) and there is no option on mine although it does say, it is up-to-date.

Reaction score
Not sure may be last year some time, got all updates since had pc, but now keeps freezing and crashing, I may be a bit dumb with pc tried chrome but kept getting conflicts.
Windows 10 needs to be kept up to date, and one of the first things one should do when experiencing system/application hangs is to verify all available updates have been installed via Windows Update, as well as to verify the Windows Version, as Major Windows updates roll out to users over a period of time (usually a few days). If Windows isn't able to pull the more recent version update through Windows Update, you can force it to via the Windows 10 Media Creator page.
  • If a PC is missing several updates, especially if it's a major version update, the system/application hangs will likely be solved by updating.

Reaction score

Linux is beckoning!
task manager and end task for runtime broker. a continual need, usually caused by an errant "app" rather than a program. YOU can list apps and last installed or those since problem existed may be the culprete. Often i have narrowed down the hog again with task manager. Since win 10, I HAVE TASK MANAGER RUNNING ALL THE TIME ON MY PC'S.

Ask a Question