Windows 10 and saving to Root of C

Reaction score
Need to save Text files to the root of C. Cant do that anymore in Win 10. Have tried all the security changes possible with no luck. Am I out of luck saving to root of C?

Brad

Reaction score
Brad I don't thoroughly understand your problem. But, I don't believe you can save to C: The root C: is C:\. that contains sub folders. You should be able to create a new sub folder and save the text files to it. Do you have a problem saving the text files to the Documents Library?

Reaction score
Brad I don't thoroughly understand your problem. But, I don't believe you can save to C: The root C: is C:\. that contains sub folders. You should be able to create a new sub folder and save the text files to it. Do you have a problem saving the text files to the Documents Library?
Have several scripts that write files to the root of the C. Worked with Win 7 of course.
Brad

Reaction score
You should be able to save it on the desktop (or wherever), and drag it to C:\

Reaction score
Can't do it as a user. Dialog pop-up requests for administrator permission.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Open File Explorer
Right click your C drive and choose properties
Select the Security tab
Click the Advanced button
Click the Change permissions button
Click the Add button
Click the Select principal link
Click the Advanced button
Click the Find now button
Scroll and find your user account
Select it and click OK
Click OK again
Check the Full control check box
OK your way back out of there, clicking OK and continue as needed to any dialog boxes.
Log off and log back on with that account and see if you can save a text file to the root of C now.

Reaction score
I'm not going to ask. I just don't understand why folks would want to hack the Root directory to save text files.

Ask a Question