SOLVED Windows 10 App Compatibilty Check - Inconsistent results

Reaction score
I have 2 laptops running Windows 7 Pro. On both of them I have VMWare Player and Virtual PC 2007. On one of them I have additionally installed Windows XP Mode.

When I run the Windows 10 Compatibility App I get different results.

On one laptop I am told I need to uninstall Virtual PC 2007 and I need to uniinstall and reinstall VMWare Player after the Windows 10 upgrade, presumably meaning Virtual PC will not run under W10.

On the second laptop - the one with XP Mode installed - there is no reference to either Virtual PC or VMWare Player or even XP Mode (which needs Virtual PC to operate) needing to be uninstalled.

So I am mightily confused. Can anyone give me a definitive answer regarding these 3 apps?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Pretty sure that you will probably be out of luck when it comes to XP Mode. As I recall I don't think it will even work on Windows 8.
You may get Virtual PC (Microsoft's) 2007 to run but, ......
Since the big move to and emphasis on Hyper-V since Windows 8, I think that would be your best bet (system architecture and hardware components permitting).
Pretty sure that both VMware Player and Virtual Box either have already or will shortly have versions that will run on Windows 10 without issue.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I was expecting that XP mode wouldn't run - I just wanted to check.

I'm puzzled though why I get different results from running the compatibilty app on 2 laptops. No reference to VMWare Player or Virtual PC on the second laptop although they are both installed. Any ideas?

Ask a Question