SOLVED Windows 10 appears to be installed and its not

Reaction score
I purchased a new Dell desktop from Best Buy with OS 8.1 x64. After the initial setup, the next screen advised your are entitled to a free upgrade to Windows 10. I continued to click on the upgrade and I thought it was successful, because it had all the tiles on one page and the windows icon where the start button was located. I had previously upgraded three windows 7 computers successfully, and I realized something was amiss. The Microsoft Edge tile and Cortana was missing. Strangely, my computer seemed to react as it was in a different format, however, Windows 10 did not fully install, and I am using it in the IE configuration while I attempted to get all the updates installed. It was then that I was thinking why didn't I wait to be able to reserve my copy after I complete the required updates installation. It is four days now of updates installed, and when I checked frequently yesterday and today, it states no updates to automatically load. I tried to find what I loaded into the computer for the update I used, with no luck. Also, I never received a get windows icon in the system tray as of the current time. Thanks

Reaction score
I just purchased a Windows 8.1 computer which was to have Windows upgrade installed. After start up I saw the option to upgrade and selected it. A notice said it would download but it did not. I was not about to wait so I went to Mictosofts site with the download tool and downloaded it myself.

Reaction score
Let's get one point clear because I am confused...................
Are you on Windows 10 or are you back to a previous OS ?

If you are on Windows 10, regardless of what are amiss, you are on Windows 10.
If so, you cannot expect to see the Get Windows 10 icon at your system tray. You are already on Windows 10. Correct ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
The bottom line is I am not on windows 10 and never was. I am on 8.1 OS & IE browser. I can understand you being confused, as I am also. Whatever it was that upgraded to, gave me what looks like the windows 10 page with all the tiles, and the start button from 8.1 is now the windows icon. I tried to upload a file showing the screen that I now have that looks like windows 10. The file was rejected as being to large. Thanks

Reaction score
On your keyboard, top row, somewhere on the right side, do you see the print screen or PrSc key ?
If yes, press it.
Do you get a snip of your entire desktop ?
If yes, save it to one of your folders.
Back here at the forum, start a reply.
Bottom right, click Upload a File > navigate to the screenshot > click Open > back here, click at a spot where you want the screenshot to be placed > at the bottom click Full image.

how to post a screenshot.jpg

Reaction score
David,
I pressed the prtscn key. The trick now is where do I find it, so I can save it. I am finding it very difficult to work with my creation here. Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
I have not use this method for a long time.
Try open Paint which is included in your Win 8/8.1

Reaction score
OK. You also have Snipping Tool included in your Win8.1.
Open Snipping Tool > click Options > UNcheck the box " show screen overlay...." > OK
Back to Snipping Tool > click the pointer next to NEW > click Rectangular snip > use your cursor to snip the part of the screen you want, or click Window Snip to take the entire screen > at the top, click File > Save As >save it to your folder.

Reaction score
I CANNOT LOCATE THE PRINT SCREEN. HOWEVER, I JUST DISCOVERED THE GET WINDOWS ICON APPEARED IN MY SYSTEM TRAY. I ALSO NOTICE YOUR LAST REQUEST ABOUT THE SNIPPING TOOL, WHICH I AM NOT FAMILIAR WITH, SINCE I NEVER USED 8.1 UNTIL NOW. I AM BETWEEN A ROCK AND A HARD PLACE NOW, BY TRYING TO WORK WITH YOU, OR IF I SHOULD RESERVE MY WINDOWS 10 AND DOWNLOAD IT. WHAT EFFECT IT WILL HAVE ON WHAT I CREATED IS CAUSING ME TO BE CAUTIOUS. WHATS YOUR INPUT ON THIS. I KNOW I COULD ALWAYS GET THE SCREEN SHOT TO YOU SINCE IT IS IN MY CAMERA. AWAITING YOUR REPLAY IF I SHOULD DOWNLOAD WINDOWS TEN. I WILL HOLD OFF HERE IN CASE SOMEONE HAS SOMETHING TO ADD.

Reaction score
If you snip the entire desktop it may be too big to upload. Actually the snipit tool is pretty simple to use and fun. Even if you do not use it in this case, check it out and try to upload a snip but do not actually post it.

Reaction score
PLEASE ! Turn off your caps lock.
VERY hard for me to read text composed entirely with uppercase.
It is the big "no, no" in forums. Some consider that as rude and yelling.
To me, it's just plain hard to read.

Click open your Get Windows 10 icon > make the "reservation" > there is also an option ( I think ) to check if your computer is compatible with Win 10.
You will be notified when it is your turn to install Win 10.
The way it works is .............. the system will automatically download Windows 10 files to your computer. When download is completed, it will pop up a notification telling you to install.
You will then go to Windows Update and get started.

That is the "normal" way to install Win 10.

Reaction score
If you snip the entire desktop it may be too big to upload. Actually the snipit tool is pretty simple to use .and fun. Even if you do not use it in this case, check it out and try to upload a snip but do not actually post it.

No, that was not the reason. His issue of size too big is because he was downloading an image from his camera. The file size is large by comparison.

Print screen and Snipping Tool can snip the entire screen and post here no problem.

desktop snip.jpg

Reaction score
The Print Screen option is simple. You press "Paste" in the Paint tool. It is a large box in the upper left. Do that after you Hit Print Screen which copys the screen just like any copy and paste operation. However; if you want to upload the entire screen you will have to resize it in Paint to what ever the maximum upload size is.
If you hit the Paste button after doing a snip, it will appear in Paint but there would be no reason to do that as you can write on the snip right in the Snipit Tool.

Reaction score
Sorry about the caps. I am tired and need to get some shuteye. I tried the snipping tool, the problem is the screen I need to send is not the desktop, it is a separate screen that shows all the tiles the way windows 10 is. When I opened the snipping tool and started as new item, I then needed to go to the screen in question. The snipping tool did not follow. It could be my lack of experience, or needed sleep to resolve the problem. Is there anyway I could email the screen shot to you or someone. If not, I will try again tomorrow sometime. I can handle the windows 10 upgrade now that the get windows icon is there, its just the matter of knowing if a conflict will exist with what I upgraded to from the start. If someone has some insight on this it would be appreciated. thanks

Reaction score
When I opened the snipping tool and started as new item, I then needed to go to the screen in question. The snipping tool did not follow

How about you minimize the Snipping tool to the taskbar, then go to where you want to ?

No emails. Everything must be posted in this forum.

Reaction score
Davidhk129,
OK, I believe I can show you to screen shots that will explain my dilemma. The first shot if it doesn't get rejected for size, even though I resized both shots, is the desktop. Notice the windows icon on lower left side where the start is normally in 8.1, will change to blue when pointed to. The second shot is a windows 10 look a like, with Microsoft Edge and Cortano tiles missing. It really fooled me at first because I was in 8.1 only, never in windows 10. Once again, this is what I received when I thought I was upgrading to windows 10 after the initial setup of my new Dell desktop, and the next gave me the opportunity to upgrade now, without going through the reserved windows 10. I have not yet attempted to upgrade using my reservation, as I am still cautious if a problem due to the fake upgrade I created. Thanks. Oops, I used Paint for the two shots, and saved as jpg files and resized both. However, they are being rejected as not an image as expected. What is your suggestion to use, as Paint works good for me.
Ok with additional help from Trouble, I will attempt the two files per my comments above.
Screenshot (1).png

Screenshot (2).png

Attachments

• Screen Shot.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 618
Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Try holding down the Windows logo key on your keyboard and then with it held, strike the Print Screen button on your keyboard.
Open up your Pictures folder and look for a folder called Screenshots.
See if you have an image of the screen you are trying to capture.
I only see one image that you've attached and it appears to be mostly blank except for a small bar across the top.

Ask a Question