SOLVED Windows 10 backup failing 0x800704c7

Reaction score
I have been using this backup process for about 2 months with no issues. Yesterday I had a virus attack and managed to stop it before it did any damage at least I thought so. Anyway after rebooting and cleaning off any viruses (use both AVG and Defender) I was back in business until this morning when I went to do a manual backup using the settings, backup option. First time I went to do backup, the screen disappeared and I had to restart the settings, backup again. This time I was able to click on manual backup now but when I did I got a windows error 0x800704C7 and a popup message saying i did not have permissions to do this anymore. I attached a pdf with a screen print of the message on my desktop.

My pc appears to be ok otherwise but I'm nervous that I have residual damage and not sure how to proceed. I have a Lenovo laptop with Windows 10. I saw another post on google about doing a clean boot to fix the issue but that issue is not exactly what mine is. Any suggestions anyone?

Attachments

• backup error.pdf
    197.6 KB · Views: 533
Reaction score
It appears the error number means the process was cancelled by user, with might be translated as no permission.

Do you have the ability to select exactly what is being backed up and exactly what type of backup are you doing. I have seen such a message related to a backup which is trying to access a non-existent file/folder or perhaps a folder which won't allow access. If you do, you might reduce the folders included to basic ones to see if you can track down where the problem lies.

Edit: Have you left additional security in place after the virus attack which might be restricting access?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am backing up certain folders and will go check to see if any are no longer available.

As for the additional security, I have left AVG free version in place and it deactivated Defender.

One of the other posts I came across also mentioned the folders. Maybe if I turned off all but one of the folders from the backup and then turned them back on one at a time, I can figure out which one is causing it. Thanks for the notion. I'll also give that a try and will reply later to this thread my status.

Reaction score
You might also try a backup to another location. The process may be looking at the prior backup and having a problem because of it.

Reaction score
I had to turn AVG off and uninstall it before it would release my external drive. Now backup is working finr. Thanks for getting me on the right track.

Reaction score
After several attempts at accessing the external drive with the backup process and it not working, I uninstalled AVG and associated components, rebooted and all is fine now... At least I think so.

Ask a Question