Windows 10 Blue Screen of Death URGENT Help!

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've had my Dell laptop for about 3-4 years and I use it for basic stuff like surfing the net, music, and schoolwork stuff. So last week I updated from Windows Vista to the new Windows 10. No problem. Last night, I downloaded some bad file and it was infected with malware. I used Malwarebytes, Avast, CCleaner, and completely removed all of the bad files it installed on my laptop. I also used a registry cleaner program to clean up my registry. I ran the scans again and it said no infections were found so I assumed it was all cleared.

My laptop was running fine after that, and all of a sudden, I receive this blue screen of death as "CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED". When I restart my machine, I can get to the user login screen but after about 20 seconds it shows me the BSOD again. Every time I try to go into safe mode I get the BSOD and it says "WDF_VIOLATION". I can't even login anymore!

I'm really panicking because I have so many important files on my machine that I do not want lost. I don't care if I have to reinstall my machine, as long as I can keep my files. I do have the original Windows Vista re-installation CD if that means anything.

Does anyone have any suggestions?? Maybe it's a driver issue??

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
My first suggestion would be to boot from your installation media and on the second page use the Repair Your PC link to get into the Advanced Troubleshooting Options and see if you can use a System Restore point, to get you back to a point in time prior to the problems first occurring

Reaction score
My first suggestion would be to boot from your installation media and on the second page use the Repair Your PC link to get into the Advanced Troubleshooting Options and see if you can use a System Restore point, to get you back to a point in time prior to the problems first occurring

So put in my re-installation Windows disk and load that?

Also, if a system restore point is found, by going back in time will I lose any saved Microsoft Excel/Word documents that have been created/updated after that point?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I updated from Windows Vista to the new Windows 10. No problem
I assumed that since you upgraded from Vista that you had Widows 10 installation media in hand.

My suggestion involves the Windows 10 installation media.
If you do not have it then you need to acquire it.
How did you upgrade from Vista to Windows 10, as there is not a documented upgrade path that I am aware of?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
AND
No.... a system restore point will not generally impact your personal files, but.....
Since your system is currently in an unstable condition, I would strongly recommend using some type of Off-Line media such as a Linux Live CD to backup all your critical data before moving forward.

Reaction score
I think I meant I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Windows Vista I had before Windows 7 if I recall correctly.

I just saw a pop-up one day on my machine saying to reserve a free upgrade and I did and updated to 10.

So I would need to get a copy of this installation disk, or get a Linux Live CD to back up my stuff? Where can I get these?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
So I would need to get a copy of this installation disk, or get a Linux Live CD to back up my stuff?
It's not an either / or, type of thing.
At this point you need to backup your critical data, as that seems to be a concern you have, if not a primary concern then at least a secondary concern.

Windows 10 media can be acquired here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
OR HERE
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Linux distros Live CDs (actually DVDs now as they seem to have outgrown CDs) can be acquired here
Mint MATE (my personal favorite) http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=159
Ubuntu (which some people seem to prefer) http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop (choose your flavor? 32 bit if you have doubts).

After you have these ISOs you can then use ImgBurn to burn them to CDs or Rufus to burn them to a USB ThumbDrive.

Reaction score
So do I need to try and backup everything first, or can I go ahead and put in the Windows 10 disk and try to do the repair thing that you were saying earlier to try and system restore?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Personally.... I wouldn't consider doing anything to that computer before I made absolutely certain, that my critical data was secure.

Ask a Question