Windows 10 Build 16278

Regedit32

Reaction score
Snuck in on me too.

The actual Restart the PC to do the final install took twice as long as the download, but as you noted, the build appears stable, and includes Antivirus updates to the previous release the other day that introduced Windows Antivirus as part of the Windows Defender Security Center package.

I do like the Domain, Public and Private Firewall options unders the WDSC settings cog. Another step away from the Control Panel which is long overdue in my personal opinion, although I fully understand people might prefer what they are used to rather than the new.

Seems they've added a few more colors to Personalization app, but for me that is of no real interest, but I guess others will like the additional options.

Nothing else really appears to leap out at me, but no doubt there are other updates worthy of note, subject to the model computer you are using and windows edition.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Me too.
Didn't even know it was out there.
Been busy putting a new motherboard into an HP Laptop and finding a utility that will write to some locked BIOS settings, so it will boot without prompting me every time that there is information missing from the BIOS.
What a pain in the rear.
Any how, looks like a few fixes and not too much else
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...ng-windows-10-insider-preview-build-16278-pc/

I'm thinking..... things are getting close to release.
They might make September after-all. I was thinking there for a while that it would be more likely October.
AND
It looks like we may be getting another tomorrow or Friday

Capture.PNG

SOURCE: https://twitter.com/donasarkar/status/903021574571286528

Regedit32

Reaction score
My two cents worth. Let MS to take as long as they want, just get it working the first time.

Just as well you only spent 2 cents given by the time Microsoft release any product that works first time, you will already have spent your remaining assets becoming a global phenomenon who discovers pigs really can fly and thus being the next reality tv start will be able to afford to download this miraculous update that costs a little more given halos are pretty expensive to code into Windows Greet Screens.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
just get it working the first time
I read Norton's post and it did provoke a snort which may have included a snicker, as in "Yeah.... that's gonna happen", so I'm glad he included a eye-roll emoji

I'm pretty sure that as time grows close, they likely have someone (more likely a team of someones) who triage the remaining bugs and decide
Do we have to fix that now or can we catch it later with a Cumulative Update.
Although I have to admit, the last couple insider builds have seemed pretty strong.

The list of "General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC" contained things I hadn't noticed.
Not being an Edge user, 5 of the list of 14 fixes.... I wouldn't have noticed in my day to day usage, which more or less applies to the remainder of the list as well.

Reaction score
Exactamundo. I don't use Edge either so I am not surprised that 16378 just worked the same as before.

Reaction score
If they do get it right, it will be a first for Redmond. Did Redmond relocate to Mount Rushmore.o_O

Reaction score
Read Troubles post so had a look at what the build offered (I didn't install it)

I have to confess, I am an edge user, and had not noticed any of the problems mentioned.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I love Edge and like davehc have not noticed any significant issues.

Briefly several builds back it was a little slow on loading pages that contained mixed content but that long ago has been resolved. In more recent times I've notice some online streaming media when run then you opt to full screen it results in a Full Screen but the video stream taking 1/4 of a screen; however, this may be the fault of the person who created video stream, rather than Edge itself as I've seen similar things in Google Chrome from time to time.

I know Microsoft have developed a lot of ideas around Edge, and some admittedly are quite interesting in concept; however, personally, I just do not use a web-browser in the mindset Microsoft appear to think we all are heading in, so none of the bug fixes predominantly centered around these 'new features' bother me at all as I'm not planning on sitting down and using Edge like an old school text book covered in high-light notes :D

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Anyone happen to have notice the Expiration Date 7/2/2018?

Capture.PNG

Has it always been that far in advance.
Not sure that it has any particular significance but I seem to remember in past builds that it was only a couple months.
Probably just my imagination

Ask a Question