Windows 10 Built In Virus Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Can someone tell me if the built in anti-virus software that comes with 10 is any good? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
It is well rated. Updates happen invisibly nearly every day. It doesn't ruin the performance of the PC. It has all the things you'd want integrated into a Windows security tab in Settings.

I recommend that it with the free version of Malwarebytes run once a week or so.

Combined with reasonably safe surfing and not opening any suspicion emails and also not clicking on links with emails.

Reaction score
Cannot add to Tim's post. But, there is another current post on forum with criticism of Windows Defender.
There may be exceptions, but most ant virus program are using the same Dbase for updated definitions. There are configuration considerations, but most of the free offers, do the same thing. The Paid for versions only add items which are not, necessarily, required in order to keep your computer clean.
With a program which regularly informs me that it has updated the definitions, I am more than satisfied.
As suggested , a free quick scan program is a good idea. Malwarebytes comes out on top.

Reaction score

Reaction score
It is well rated. Updates happen invisibly nearly every day. It doesn't ruin the performance of the PC. It has all the things you'd want integrated into a Windows security tab in Settings.

I recommend that it with the free version of Malwarebytes run once a week or so.

Combined with reasonably safe surfing and not opening any suspicion emails and also not clicking on links with emails.

Reaction score
It's not the 100% best antivirus out there. I've always been critical of it, but recently it's detection rates have gotten much better. It's also very lightweight, so it doesn't impact performance much.In combination with a weekly scan using the free version of malwarebyte, you should be fine with it.

Reaction score
Thank you. I've been using AVG for several years now and am happy with it so I was curious when I found out 10 has built in protection. I have it turned off of course so the two don't argue.

Reaction score
I have AVG Free also and found it ok but occasionally it will make the cpu work hard but both windows defender and AVG seem to co exist without any problems

Reaction score
I have AVG Free also and found it ok but occasionally it will make the cpu work hard but both windows defender and AVG seem to co exist without any problems
Windows defender disables it's background protection when a 3rd party AV is installed so as to not conflict with it. If you're using AVG free, I would advise just uninstalling it.

Reaction score
thanks Bigfeet I checked both are working together without issue as I said AVG does use cpu a little when it is looking for updates
I will keep both at this stage and Uncle Glen may make his own judgement I guess

Reaction score
I've used Norton Security for many years, I've never had a security issue on any computer. It never seems to impact performance although I don't watch that carefully, it does other things such as "improving performance" - I've never understood what that does. It turns off Defender and won't allow it back on. My only issue with Norton is I really don't know if it is fully updated, if I open it and manually run LiveUpdate it always seems to find updates (I just ran it and it found 6) and yet when I ask them they tell me it updates every day, I don't see how that is possible when I always find updates to install. Norton seems expensive at around $80 per year.

Reaction score
so with using windows defender and avg and malwarebytes what about adware antivirus is the any good or not really needed with defender and avg plus malwarebytes? or should i just be doing defender and malwarebytes? and stop the others? thanks

Reaction score
Can someone tell me if the built-in anti-virus software that comes with 10 is any good? Thanks!

It is poor in comparison, I've been monitoring security testing sites on a monthly basis over the last 7 years and Windows Defender ALWAYS hits almost rock bottom for resource usage (big impact on your system), its detection is mediocre.. the best Anti-Virus programs are typically Bit-Defender, Kaspersky and Avira, they all have free versions too which usually just have fewer features, Norton is good too, it no longer hogs your system like it used to and has a good detection ratio, its my preference as I love the user interface and options available to me (such as the charts showing all installs, detections etc etc over time), but if I didn't use that then I would use Bit-Defender.

If your wanting to use a 3rd party firewall then I would recommend Comodo, its a solid performer and is free

for 3rd party on-demand scanners use MalwareBytes, Emsisoft and SuperAnti-Spyware

you cant go wrong with those installed

Reaction score
During test conducted by independent labs, maybe 2 AVs caught 100% of the test cases.
Defender was not one of them. You might be surprised to find out which ones are over 95%, or even 90%.
MBAM free and paid catch things Defender does not, MBAR catches things MBAM does not.
Personal experience with Defender is it is less secure than others. One recently got by (a keylogger) that required MBAM to find. Then MBAR to find the rest of it. Usability is also an big issue. I found Avast and AVG too intrusive, but they are generally rated good for protection even the free versions.

Here are some places to look. Each one rates differently, but you can get an better idea by considering many reviews, not just one.
Keep in mind, it is a moving target and the BEST defense is to put mind in gear b4 putting finger in motion
Be cautious of review sites that are pay-to-play. My top avoid one is PC-MAG.

It might be good to note that all products do not operate the same. Some only check for virus when the file is accessed (on-access). others check when saving to disk, others when accessing online.
Defender

Personally, my choice for a paid AV is VIPRE. It is very easy to use and has free tech support.

Reaction score
Can someone tell me if the built in anti-virus software that comes with 10 is any good? Thanks!
All I can say is I've had it on board ever since I first started using Windows 10 (i.e., from when it was first released) and have not been hit by any viruses. I should say, though, that I also have Malwarebytes running, but it could be each of those apps are looking for different kinds of 'infection'.

Reaction score
It is poor in comparison, I've been monitoring security testing sites on a monthly basis over the last 7 years and Windows Defender ALWAYS hits almost rock bottom for resource usage (big impact on your system), its detection is mediocre.. t
Obviously you haven't been monitoring the last year or so.

Reaction score
Windows defender, a weekly scan with malwarebytes, and common sense. That's all that's needed. Period. And to those running a 3rd party AV with windows defender. The reason they work well together is windows defender is disabled when you install 3rd party anti virus. You can still run scans with it, but it's background process is disabled.

Regedit32

Reaction score
best Anti-Virus programs are typically Bit-Defender, Kaspersky and Avira

Before you download Kaspersky and install it - or if you all ready use it - I'd highly recommend you read this article!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeanba...y-users-online-millions-at-risk/#7a61eb66ba34

And you may want to do some research into the other antivirus apps out there. A number of them recently have been exposed for monitoring your browser searches and history - I'd suggest that is highly invasive of your privacy and hackers who could exploit these tactics could cause you one heck of a headache if they get their hands on that data themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question