Windows 10 Catastrophic Failure To Launch.

Reaction score
Well... Microsoft screws up again. Today is supposedly 'Launch Day' for Windows 10. So where is it? Nowhere. It doesn't seem to exist yet. I'm looking at my Surface Pro 3 which I've readied for Windows 10 and not a thing has changed. It still has that reserve windows 10 icon. It still is running 8.1. There is absolutely no indication to the user that anything has changed between yesterday and today(even if the files are not coming until later). As such, the only thing that can be surmised is Microsoft has failed to launch the operating system they've spent billions of dollars and three years to make.

Now, 'supposedly'... there is some type of timetable for when people actually start receiving this vaporware. So where is that? Why is my computer not telling me Windows 10 is in release and exactly when I'm slotted to receive this fantasy product? Am I supposed to name this Windows WAIT Day? Maybe Windows WAIT Week if I'm particularly unlucky. Its like going through a ******* blackout. You know the power is coming back on at some point, but the power company aint telling when that'll be! Needless to say this is a clusterf*** of monumental proportions by Redmond. Stop expecting me to waste my time by sitting around waiting for you to get off your dead asses and get me the upgrade to the product I bought, particularly when you KNOW exactly when you're going to be sending it to me.. but don't deem me worthy of knowing when exactly that is.

Cause seriously... this bush league 90's crap just makes Microsoft look exactly like people say... a dinosaur.

Reaction score
Mine Downloaded Sometime This Morning I am On The Insider Ring Tho My Tablet Is Still Awaiting Attention :)

Reaction score
I wouldn't be so hard on them if there was at least some indication that a) Windows 10 is now in release and b) when I am slotted to receive it so I don't have to constantly keep checking that computer. I'd check back in when it was time to install. Either way... this is one of the most horrible ways they could have gone about doing it. It makes them look like a company of amateurs, particularly when Launch Days are a staple of video games and how they work tends to be the standard for how people believe they should work.

Trust me when I say that this will be Exhibit A of how *not* to launch your product.

Reaction score
Not everyone is going to get it day one. That's been known for a while. It's a staggered release. Sorry.

Reaction score
Any time a software company or its apologists have to tell you 'patience', they have failed utterly. I shouldn't need patience. They know exactly to the minute when I'm going to be receiving the software.. they just haven't bothered to convey that information to me or conveyed the fact that Windows 10 has even launched.

If I know that I'm slotted to receive the software at 6pm PST Tomorrow, I don't even have to bother monitoring the computer for no good reason. I can go do other stuff and patience is not needed. Its just a complete waste of my time and a failure of Microsoft to properly launch their software and there is no getting around that fact. No apologizing for them will change that fact.

Anyways.. Happy WINDOWS WAIT DAY. Hopefully this doesn't turn into WINDOWS WAIT WEEK.

Reaction score
Any time a software company or its apologists have to tell you 'patience', they have failed utterly. I shouldn't need patience. They know exactly to the minute when I'm going to be receiving the software.. they just haven't bothered to convey that information to me or conveyed the fact that Windows 10 has even launched.

If I know that I'm slotted to receive the software at 6pm PST Tomorrow, I don't even have to bother monitoring the computer for no good reason. I can go do other stuff and patience is not needed. Its just a complete waste of my time and a failure of Microsoft to properly launch their software and there is no getting around that fact. No apologizing for them will change that fact.

Anyways.. Happy WINDOWS WAIT DAY. Hopefully this doesn't turn into WINDOWS WAIT WEEK.
Well, then why bother crying here. It's very immature. I can't believe how impatient people have gotten. It will be "Windows Wait Week". That was the plan all along. Don't blame us for your failure.

Reaction score
Well, then why bother crying here. It's very immature. I can't believe how impatient people have gotten. It will be "Windows Wait Week". That was the plan all along. Don't blame us for your failure.

Why bother posting here? The name of the site is windows10forums is it not? If not here, where? And whats immature is Microsoft wasting people's time. And make no mistake, I'm probably one of the biggest Microsoft fans around, particularly given that my job is dependent upon Windows successfully launching and doing well. When they botch stuff up like this and have to have people like yourself troll forums constantly apologizing and blaming the customer... well... it doesn't really bode well for the future prospects of that company now does it?

And if it was the 'plan all along' to have a "Windows Wait Week", then they bloody well should have known the dire need to ensure that the customer becomes aware of the immediate change to the status that Windows 10 was in release, and when exactly during that week they would be receiving it. You know, issues that would automatically be handled at places like Apple or Google. Instead, Microsoft be Microsoft and they shit the bed by simply expecting their customers to wait on them. Its silly stuff like this that gives Microsoft their well-deserved bad reputation.

Reaction score
@salamander: So much anger. Perhaps if you had been part of the Insider program would be more understanding and less ranting. Here's the best analogy I can muster: you hear about the new car models every year in advance of their ship date, and they'll even list the 'start' date for when the cars get to their destinations.

Now can you imagine any auto manufacturer being capable of delivering thousands of cars on that one start date. If nothing, else traffic and parking would be a royal mess. For which I imagine your rant would be, "How could those idiots try to release all the cars at once, of course there would massive traffic jams and no place to park all those cars?".

Of course if you had joined the program instead of just balking at it, you'd already have the RTM Build 10240. But then you'd have to contribute instead of trying to belittle it.

Regards,
BearPup

Reaction score
Mine was waiting in the Microsoft 'UPDATES' section. No e-mail involved. Just download it and it will take about 30 - 45 minutes.

:)

Reaction score
Why bother posting here? The name of the site is windows10forums is it not? If not here, where? And whats immature is Microsoft wasting people's time. And make no mistake, I'm probably one of the biggest Microsoft fans around, particularly given that my job is dependent upon Windows successfully launching and doing well. When they botch stuff up like this and have to have people like yourself troll forums constantly apologizing and blaming the customer... well... it doesn't really bode well for the future prospects of that company now does it?

And if it was the 'plan all along' to have a "Windows Wait Week", then they bloody well should have known the dire need to ensure that the customer becomes aware of the immediate change to the status that Windows 10 was in release, and when exactly during that week they would be receiving it. You know, issues that would automatically be handled at places like Apple or Google. Instead, Microsoft be Microsoft and they shit the bed by simply expecting their customers to wait on them. Its silly stuff like this that gives Microsoft their well-deserved bad reputation.
This isn't a Microsoft run site. This is a community site. We don't need your negativity. I've had issues with the OS, and with Microsoft. I didn't come in here crying like a little baby. If you don't like the way things are being handled, then contact Microsoft.

Reaction score
@salamander: So much anger. Perhaps if you had been part of the Insider program would be more understanding and less ranting. Here's the best analogy I can muster: you hear about the new car models every year in advance of their ship date, and they'll even list the 'start' date for when the cars get to their destinations.

Ahh... I see. All my problems would be solved had I just gotten inside the super special decoder ring from Microsoft.

All my problems could also have been solved by Microsoft simply implementing a very basic UI that came online at midnight stating that Windows 10 had gone live, and when I was scheduled to receive mine. I'm not asking for them to reinvent the world, just about 15 minutes of developer time to throw up a UI to keep customers up-to-date. I mean shit... they've allready been spamming me with this Get Windows 10 icon everywhere, they might as well use it. But they didn't do that because customer relations has never been their strong suit. They've already botched the messaging for months on exactly how long the OS would be supported, had to backtrack on automatic updates, and now this debacle. They had the exact same mentality with the consoles and are pretty much getting their rear end handed to them by the PS4.

Now can you imagine any auto manufacturer being capable of delivering thousands of cars on that one start date.

Nope.. but I do expect to be told when mine would be ready. Keep in mind.. I have no problem with staggering downloads, but be up front about when the customer should expect to receive theirs and you should *never*, *ever* simply ignore the customer until you magically make it available at a random time. Once you go live with the product, communication of status should be available to the customer and not end until they receive their product. Just like when you buy a product from Amazon, communication is available about the transit status of what you bought from the point you buy it until you receive it at your door. Its not hard and trust me, every one of you know what i'm saying is the unvarnished truth. Put on your big boy pants and stop letting Redmond walk all over you.

If nothing, else traffic and parking would be a royal mess. For which I imagine your rant would be, "How could those idiots try to release all the cars at once, of course there would massive traffic jams and no place to park all those cars?".

This isn't the 90's. Lets not pretend that companies can't handle logistics like its their first rodeo. Companies like Amazon manage to sell and ship $90 billion in product without breaking a sweat. Apple manages 500+ million phones. But apparently Microsoft is a unique snowflake in they cannot properly manage the rollout of their flagship OS. Instead of being proactive with the customer in delivering their product, they go radio silent until some random point, at which point it gets delivered. Its a joke and you know it, please stop trying to justify it.

Of course if you had joined the program instead of just balking at it, you'd already have the RTM Build 10240. But then you'd have to contribute instead of trying to belittle it.

You may provide free services to Microsoft, I don't. I neither have the time nor inclination to Beta Test their shit. Some of us do have lives and its not our responsibility to make sure their stuff works. And heck, no problem with the testers receiving it first, I could care less about anyone else. I just want to not be left in the dark as to when i'll be receiving mine. Its a waste of the customer's time that is easily rectified.

Reaction score
Ahh... I see. All my problems would be solved had I just gotten inside the super special decoder ring from Microsoft.

All my problems could also have been solved by Microsoft simply implementing a very basic UI that came online at midnight stating that Windows 10 had gone live, and when I was scheduled to receive mine. I'm not asking for them to reinvent the world, just about 15 minutes of developer time to throw up a UI to keep customers up-to-date. I mean shit... they've allready been spamming me with this Get Windows 10 icon everywhere, they might as well use it. But they didn't do that because customer relations has never been their strong suit. They've already botched the messaging for months on exactly how long the OS would be supported, had to backtrack on automatic updates, and now this debacle. They had the exact same mentality with the consoles and are pretty much getting their rear end handed to them by the PS4.

Nope.. but I do expect to be told when mine would be ready. Keep in mind.. I have no problem with staggering downloads, but be up front about when the customer should expect to receive theirs and you should *never*, *ever* simply ignore the customer until you magically make it available at a random time. Once you go live with the product, communication of status should be available to the customer and not end until they receive their product. Just like when you buy a product from Amazon, communication is available about the transit status of what you bought from the point you buy it until you receive it at your door. Its not hard and trust me, every one of you know what i'm saying is the unvarnished truth. Put on your big boy pants and stop letting Redmond walk all over you.

This isn't the 90's. Lets not pretend that companies can't handle logistics like its their first rodeo. Companies like Amazon manage to sell and ship $90 billion in product without breaking a sweat. Apple manages 500+ million phones. But apparently Microsoft is a unique snowflake in they cannot properly manage the rollout of their flagship OS. Instead of being proactive with the customer in delivering their product, they go radio silent until some random point, at which point it gets delivered. Its a joke and you know it, please stop trying to justify it.

You may provide free services to Microsoft, I don't. I neither have the time nor inclination to Beta Test their shit. Some of us do have lives and its not our responsibility to make sure their stuff works. And heck, no problem with the testers receiving it first, I could care less about anyone else. I just want to not be left in the dark as to when i'll be receiving mine. Its a waste of the customer's time that is easily rectified.
Boo hoo

Reaction score
I understand why you are so frustrated now.

Lol... never had a problem with the op sys itself, particularly on a tablet (I use 7 on the workstation). I quite like the SP3. Plus I can run it independent of my main system, so it won't mess with my stuff to install windows 10 on it for evaluation purposes. The funny part is that I'm now no longer seeing a windows 10 reserved thing in the update window. That's magically disappeared, possibly when I did the normal update process earlier today.

One of the main reasons that professional developers don't use this type of update process is that its indistinguishable from the fact you may not be scheduled to receive the product *at all* and you won't know it until days or even weeks later as people erroneously tell you to wait. Unlike BigFeet, I am not a kid that sees everything he doesn't agree with as being 'crying' for trolling purposes. I have over two decades in software development, and seeing bs like this really grinds my gears.

Microsoft, and its apologists, are literally the only people on Earth that sees this as an acceptable way of doing business and they have a very good chance of snowballing up a PR shitstorm over the next couple days. So far they've been given cover by the media, but the problem will likely grow. That's what happens when you disconnect from the customer during the delivery process of your product. If even say 5-10% are unable to reconnect at the time you deliver with a product as big as windows, tens of millions of customers are pissed and looking for blood.

That stuff flew back in the 90's because there weren't a lot of other options.. in 2015 people expect companies to have their shit together.

Reaction score
o_OI am just looking for my flack jacket for when people realise just what's been removed this W10 was deff built for the digital age so I don't wanna hear any moaning from the younger folk

Ask a Question