Windows 10 - Cheap Key Buying Options

Reaction score
I am an OS X user and want to use Windows 10 via Bootcamp on my Macbook Pro (2012, non retina). I do not have the option to upgrade to Windows 10, so I need to buy it new.

On Windows.com, buying Windows 10 is approx $120.

But online, there are lots of sites that offer a "key" for as low as $40.

Does anyone know what the difference is? If I were to just buy the "key," can anyone outline the steps I would take in gathering the remaining materials needed for creating my own installation USB/DVD? How would I get an official copy of the ISO image (with which I would make the installation USB/DVD)?

Here are examples of those sites where the key if offered for relatively cheap:

[admin edit: links removed, to prevent this thread from becoming a spam magnet]

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Those keys could be legitimate, however they could also be re-sold bulk licensing keys - which could then be revoked at a later date. Some people used to buy MSDN/TechNet licenses and then re-sell all of the individual keys for each product. It could also be that they're re-selling OEM keys or keys from refurbished PCs - I've seen this too. To confirm for sure, you'd need to ask them where it comes from and what the license conditions are. Not to say that all places that do this are dodgy, just you need to be careful.

If you did go down that route, you can get the ISO from here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You'll need to select the "Create installation media for another PC" option when prompted :). You can then download the ISO or burn direct to DVD/USB.

It may also be worth looking at buying a Windows 7 license and using the free upgrade path - if you qualify for something like an OEM license then you can buy a the DVD with COA for around $40 on Amazon.

Reaction score
Those keys could be legitimate, however they could also be re-sold bulk licensing keys - which could then be revoked at a later date.
My mother fell for that here recently with Office Home & Business 2013. The USB thumb drive installed, activated, and I think she then later received a notice stating the license was pirated. All I know is she told me the copies she bought turned out to be pirated.

Reaction score
There is a site, that's pretty legit, that sell the OEM version for $19. It's a site mainly for gamer's to buy inexpensive game keys, but they sell keys for other software, including Windows. They do come from 3rd party vendors, but for $1, they will guarantee the key. I won't mention the site here, but you can google it. I haven't used it, but have had friends use it with no issues.

Ask a Question