SOLVED Windows 10 Creator Email

Reaction score
I recently upgraded to the creator edition and the mail system does not receive emails. I can send, but not receive. Any ideas?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Doug, welcome to the forums :).

Which mail app are you using? Is it the default Windows 10 app, just called "Mail"?

Also, do you get any errors appearing?

I would be tempted to try removing the e-mail account and re-adding it again, to confirm it is configured correctly - as long as you've got a backup of your e-mails that you need (as some e-mail providers don't keep them on the server once downloaded).

Reaction score
Hi Doug, welcome to the forums :).

Which mail app are you using? Is it the default Windows 10 app, just called "Mail"?

Also, do you get any errors appearing?

I would be tempted to try removing the e-mail account and re-adding it again, to confirm it is configured correctly - as long as you've got a backup of your e-mails that you need (as some e-mail providers don't keep them on the server once downloaded).

Hi Ian,
Thanks for helping!! Yes, I am using the mail app that appeared in my task bar (envelope picture) after I upgraded to creator edition. I don't get any errors using the mail. I can send but not receive. I did delete and reset my email account and still the same. However, I did get a generic email from Outlook after I set my account back up again. That's the only email I've received using this new mail. I'm using a Comcast email address and there is very little setup to do when I add the account. In case this is it, I also have Outlook email that I get when I push the Mail key on my keyboard. That email works just fine. Is the fact I have two ways to get my mail interfering with each other?

Regedit32

Reaction score
I'd log into the email accounts using a Browser.

The Server storing your emails may have an Inbox data cap, which when exceeded, locks the syncing, which would explain why sending emails works, but receiving fails when using your Email application.

I doubt the sync settings themselves are incorrect, but you could check that in your Mail app just to make sure the Receive settings have not been modified with incorrect information or rules.

In the Mail app on left side click Accounts, then on right side click on the account that is not receiving mail.

Now beneath Change mailbox sync settings click on the hyperlinked Options for syncing your content

Next, beneath Advanced mailbox settings click the hyperlinked Incoming and outgoing mail server info

If you have to make changes click Done when you've finished, otherwise just click Cancel and close out of the windows.

Reaction score
I'd log into the email accounts using a Browser.

The Server storing your emails may have an Inbox data cap, which when exceeded, locks the syncing, which would explain why sending emails works, but receiving fails when using your Email application.

I doubt the sync settings themselves are incorrect, but you could check that in your Mail app just to make sure the Receive settings have not been modified with incorrect information or rules.

In the Mail app on left side click Accounts, then on right side click on the account that is not receiving mail.

Now beneath Change mailbox sync settings click on the hyperlinked Options for syncing your content

Next, beneath Advanced mailbox settings click the hyperlinked Incoming and outgoing mail server info

If you have to make changes click Done when you've finished, otherwise just click Cancel and close out of the windows.

Hi Ian,
Again, thanks for your help.
That appears to be the problem. I have no advanced mailbox settings under the change mailbox sync settings. I only have on/off for mail, calendar & contacts. Nothing below. I have gone into my Comcast account and don't see an email cap under settings.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I have no advanced mailbox settings under the change mailbox

img1.png

Reaction score
Thanks Regedit,
But. that's what I was saying above. I do not have advanced mailbox settings there. There is nothing below the on/off for email, calendar, contacts. That link is simply not there. But, thanks for trying to help.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I do not have advanced mailbox settings there. There is nothing below the on/off for email, calendar, contacts. That link is simply not there.

Go to the Store app then, sign-in, and check for updates. Your Mail app must be an older version or corrupt.

That link has always been there since Mail app's inception.

Alternately, click Start > Settings cog > Apps then scroll down and click on Mail & Calendar > Advanced and click the Reset button.

Reaction score
OK, I've tried everything that everyone has suggested. No updates available and have reset the mail. I also, uninstalled the app via power shell and re-installed it from the store. I still can't receive any emails on my Comcast email address. So, I guess the problem is with Comcast so I will contact them next and see if they can fix it.

Reaction score
Problem resolved. Maybe this is just my stupidity, but in case anyone else has a problem with receiving mail with a Comcast email address, The problem was solved by re-setting up that account as an "other" email account. I had originally set it up as an Outlook account. My bad apparently. It works fine now. Thanks to everyone who tried to help!!!

Ask a Question